Re: Recorder 6- Error Code 6

Having negoitiated our Workstation/Server/Network permissions with our ICT folks, I thought finally I was getting somewhere.

However, after importing map tiles into local folder C:\Program Files\Recorder 6 Workstation\Map Files & then selecting 'Map options: Choose base map' prior to importing polygons, I got Error Code 6.

From the Smartgroups posting relating to R2K (http://www.smartgroups.com/message/view … ageid=1669), is Sally & Charles' solution of adjusting the registry settings still valid for R6?

Cheers now, Rob

You could give it a try, although I've never experienced this problem with R6 and so couldn't say whether the solutions mentioned in the smartgroup thread will solve your problem. The registry settings for R6 are in a different place now: HKCU\Software\Dorset Software\Recorder 6\Settings

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Ok, problem solved, but not in a good way!

After thoroughly checking all registry entries & finding that all were correct, we started to look at permissions.

Basically, this can be now moved into the "Permissions" thread, as now I have full admin rights to Workstation, server, network and SQL instance, we have maps & can upload polygons but am still unable to import anything via 'Import Wizard'.

Dorset is the next stop, via Mike W.

Will keep things posted

Cheers Rob.

Rob,

Can you give us some details of what happens when you try to use the Import Wizard please.  Do you get an error message?

Cheers,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John, the jist is cross-posted to the other thread, but here's the two main error logs:

Users (even those with local & server admin rights..ie me! ) get error log  at Stage 1=

Setup data import

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 16/05/2006 10:25:34.
Version : 6.7.2.77

Exception path:
EOleException : ODBC--call failed

Last event\actions:
  TfrmUserConfig activated
  TfrmUserConfig destroyed
  actNames invoked
  TfrmIndOrg created
  TfrmIndOrg activated
  TfrmIndOrg destroyed
  actImport invoked
  TfrmImportWizard created
  TfrmImportWizard activated

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 515,452 KB

DLLs loaded:
  advapi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  comctl32.dll (5.82.2900.2180)
  comdlg32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  gdi32.dll (5.1.2600.2818)
  HHCtrl.ocx (5.2.3790.2453)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  mpr.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  MS5.Dll (5.0.0.12)
  MS5User.Dll (5.0.0.4)
  odbc32.dll (3.525.1117.0)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2726)
  oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  shell32.dll (6.0.2900.2869)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.2622)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winmm.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winspool.drv (5.1.2600.2180)

Full admin (Workstation, Server & network)  get this error at stage 2 ' Do Import' =

Import error- stage 2
Logged in to both workstation and server as admin.

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 16/05/2006 11-28-34.
Version : 6.7.2.77

Exception path:
EInOutError : File access denied

Last event\actions:
  actImport invoked
  TfrmImportWizard created
  TfrmImportWizard activated

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 515,452 KB

DLLs loaded:
  advapi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  comctl32.dll (5.82.2900.2180)
  comdlg32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  gdi32.dll (5.1.2600.2818)
  HHCtrl.ocx (5.2.3790.2453)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  mpr.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  MS5.Dll (5.0.0.12)
  MS5User.Dll (5.0.0.4)
  odbc32.dll (3.525.1117.0)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2726)
  oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  shell32.dll (6.0.2900.2869)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.2622)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winmm.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winspool.drv (5.1.2600.2180)

Rob

A couple of things for you to check.  First, can you open the NBNData.mdb file in the Database folder in your Recorder installation?  If so, can you open one of the tables and check that you can see the SQL Server data using this method, as that will verify the state of ODBC.

Second, can you check the value of your TEMP environment variable please.  You can find this using Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables.  This must point to a local folder which you have full rights to.

Let me know what you find,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Good morning John.

First task: Opened NBNData.mdb ok, after trying to open a table within NBNData.mdb, I got the first error "Table access denied".
After that SQL Server login opened asking where the default server path was set to (local).
Use Trusted Connection box was ticked. I pressed OK & got the same error.

So next I chose Server: SWTBES (where R6 is installed on) and instantly got the next error "Access Permission".

With the TEMP file environment variable, that was all fine.

There are two screenshots relating to the quoted errors but I can't upload them. Can you give me your direct email or a way to do this, please?

Cheers Rob.

Hi Rob,

Can you try the File Uploads facility on this forum?  It would be good to see if it works Ok.

Do you know how to create a new mdb file, then use the Get External Data function to link in tables from the Recorder 6 server database?  You will need to create a new ODBC connection during the process.  If so, can you try it on a few tables and see if it works. 

Are you using Trusted Security for Recorder's connection to the server?  This is defined in the registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dorset Software\Recorder 6 - the Trusted Security value is set to 1 if you are.  If so, then when you create the ODBC connection above make sure you do the same (select the With Windows NT authentication radio button when asked for connection details).  Otherwise, try the login 'nbnuser' and 'nbnpassword' to check this works Ok.

Regards,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John,

Firstly, the file upload limit is set to 0Kb, so no go there.

Secondly, I've tried to link tables via Access a few times now, & still just get a blank dialogue box.

In ODBC connections, I've setup connections with User DSN, System DSN & File DSN ; all with the same result: no tables visible in the Link Tables dialogue box.

Cheers now, Rob

Rob,

I suggest you raise this problem with your own ICT guys, as its not specific to Recorder.  Until the ODBC/Access link to SQL Server is usable there's not much point at looking any further at the Recorder side of things.

For your information, and anyone else watching this thread, Recorder 6 still uses Access as an 'intermediary' for all data imports.  This allows all import formats to be supported with the same validation & duplicate checking features as zipped Access imports.  Moving this to SQL Server is not really a practical option as unless the database server is local, Recorder is unlikely to be able to get access to the database files to zip them up.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Rob, I've fixed the file upload limit - could you give it another go?

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Cheers Charles, it's instant! :D

Double checking all my previous correspondence on this, does anyone think that the MS suggestion of upgrading to Jet 4.0 would help?

Cheers now Rob

Ok, a few clues here.  First, Recorder 6 does require BOTH Jet 3.51 and Jet 4 on the machine.  However, they should have been installed by the Workstation or standalone install kit.

Back to the error messages - the first one 'server does not exist or access denied' indicates that either the login details are incorrect, or that the server is down or missing.  The only way I can think this might have happened is if you installed Recorder, then later on moved the server database.  Was Recorder originally installed locally on this machine then the database moved later?

The second message, table access denied, indicates that you logged in to this server fine but that your trusted connection does not have the required privileges to view the data.  Are you using trusted connections from within Recorder (see earlier post)?

Best Wishes,

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

R6 has been installed 3 times on the server in the past 4 months. THe first two times due to this problem of not being able to import data, together with needing to change our Site ID's and do the latest upgrade. The third & most recent install was supervised by Mike Wiedeli over the phone.

On each install we chose to use Trusted Connection, mainly due to being unable to locate the 'sa' password, but also anticiapting a network of users requiring access as data goes in.

This workstation has been used for the networked versions, however I have recently removed a standalone version which was being used for training purpoese outwith the network. However these error messsages have been consistent since at least Febrauary, regardless of which version.

Standalones work without any problems whatsoever. I'm inclined to think that the permissions specifically referred to in your last paragraph stem from the server install & setup, which was done by a past employee. ICT here have arranged a meeting next week with me to review things in more depth at this end. However I would like to thank you for helping us narrow down possibilities, which now appear to be less Recorder-based than we originally thought.

Until we find a conlcusion, I shall be using standalones & storing the data for when we can start to do something with it.

Many thanks, Rob.