Re: Interactive Distribution Maps - Taxon names cut short

When you carry out a search for a taxon with a long name

e.g. http://www.searchnbn.net/searchengine/s … 1&pg=1

The search results page has the taxon names cut short.

Similarly the Grid map title, List of sites, Interactive map title and Taxonomic Information have the taxon name cut short.

Presumably this is due to a field length constraint?

It is a little annoying. Can it be fixed please?

Hello Brian

Yes there is a field length constraint on the taxon names stored in the Gateway database, currently set at 60 characters. Looking at the species dictionary there are 75 taxon names (out of 193,917 taxon names) that have names longer than this (mostly plant hybrids) and these are truncated on the Gateway. For your example you have chosen the taxon with the longest name (82 characters) Asplenium adiantum-nigrum x Phyllitis scolopendrium (x Asplenophyllitis jacksonii)

Thanks for pointing out this issue, I will alert the Gateway developers to it so that they can look into it.

Best wishes

Graham French
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks Graham. Obviously I haven't checked all 193,917 taxa, but is it possible that there are more than 75 which exceed 60 characters i.e. when a common name (probably in a seperate field) is also included in the titles.

Hello Brian

It shouldn't matter as the scientific and common names for a species are held in different fields in the underlying dictionary table on the Gateway and will be treated separately. Number of characters for scientific names currently being set at 60 and for common names set at 100

Best wishes

Graham