Re: NBN Taxonnomy Web Services - returning result with ?

If you search for Equisetum hyemale x ramosissimum.
The taxon web services return "?" instead of "=" on some species.

I have tried on my own code and the example on the web services page and it produces the same problem.

Have I missed anything here...?

Thanks

Luck

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hi Luck

I have checked and our system is returning results (see http://www.nesbrec.org/thesaurus2.php)

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

3 (edited by Luck 05-02-2010 14:01:20)

It seems to be the same problem that we have here.

Instead of Equisetum hyemale x ramosissimum ? E. x moorei
shoudl be Equisetum hyemale x ramosissimum = E. x moorei

This work just fine on nbn.
http://data.nbn.org.uk/searchengine/search.jsp?searchTerm=Equisetum%20hyemale%20x%20ramosissimum&tab=1&pg=1

Should I just do a quick replace in the code...?

IT Officer
rECOrd (A Biodiversity Information System for Cheshire, Halton, Warrington and Wirral)
www.record-lrc.co.uk

Hello Luck

The reason the taxonomy web service is returning "?" instead of "=" is due to how the data is handled prior to the xml response being created. This = character is not recognised along the way and so is replaced by a ?. There are 637 taxa in the species dictionary with = in their name (all plant hybrids) and I would expect then all to be affected in the same way

This issue is known and being looked at and hopefully will be resolved by the next planned release of the web service this September, however Paul, who will be working on it, reports it will not be an easy one to resolve

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

5 (edited by Nick 16-02-2010 15:03:53)

Hi Luck

I plan to use 'replace' now that I know it will always happen (I assume that there is never a '?' in any other species name) e.g. ? -> =.

However, I may have to use a more complex workaround because I use php (I use a protector module that prevents the use of some characters in URLs - prevents Cross-Site Scripting) :|

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council