Re: Suggestions for Drupal forms

Just a couple of suggestions  for the basic forms.

They really could do with a field or fields  for entering the recorder and or determiner, as well as on for the person who entered the data.

It would also be nice to have some more sophisticated navigation tools on the OpenLayers maps - a zoom box for example would improve the useability considerably

No doubt these are the type of features that are in the pipeline anyway but it strikes me their implementation would not take much effort and would immediately improve the practical usefulness of the forms.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

The OpenLayers maps should show zoom controls in the top left - don't yours? Also you can alt-drag on the map to zoom into a box.

I think I backed out of the recorder control when writing these forms, since I envisaged they would be used for basic recording of your own records when already logged into a website. If you look at the citizen science form example, it shows you how to display controls for the user's details only when not logged into the content management system. In some ways I'd perhaps like to keep the "basic" forms as simple as possible, so they can be used to show how the iforms work without any complexity, and built on to make new forms. But feel free to have a play with the code and suggest changes or new forms!

Cheers

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

3 (edited by Alan Hale 10-02-2010 07:11:18)

Hi John - yes, the basic zoom control is there, but it's rather tedious having to zoom in stepwise. I didn't know about shift-drag (it's that rather than alt-drag i found by experimentation) - that is much more useful and what I was looking for - thanks.

Recorders - ok, I take your point about keeping these forms simple for demonstration purposes.  I'll take a look at the citizen science form - are you saying this will pick up the CMS user if logged in and enter that into the recorder field?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

With the citizen science form, you should link it up to custom attributes for CMS User ID, plus email and username. Also Firstname, lastname etc. Then when the form is displayed, if logged into Drupal it will skip the first input tab and insert hidden controls so that the CMS User ID, username and email address are stored against the record. If they are not logged in, it displays the first tab with a simple contact details form.

I will add an issue to make the display of the OpenLayers zoom slider control one of the options for the mapPanel. At the moment it is possible to do it by writing your own code and adding it to the map, but a bit of a fiddle.

Cheers

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT