Re: OS Maps for NBN and Recorder 6

On installing this (version 1.0.3.0) I receive the error message:
Recorder not properly installed or set-up: Can't find registry entries
Do we have an updated version of the Map Tiles for Recorder 6 or can I obtain those Recorder 2000 registry entries?

Darwyn, do you have a copy of the map tiles on an old R2K installed anywhere? What I did was copy them across into a new directory (not the actual map tiles directory), then used the bulk load add-in.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

No Charles, my Recorder 6 is the only Recorder installation I have on a new PC. I've never attempted the OS Maps installation before in any case.
Am I to take it that the OS Maps are not implemented in Recorder 6 then?

Hiya Darwyn

If you had asked this question a few days a go I would have said no, but thanks to Blue-Bag we now have a upgrade download you can use for your existing map tiles. I haven't put it on the website yet but once I do I will announce it in this forum.

Best wishes

Jo
NBN Trust

Thanks, Jo.
I've found the new utility for OS Maps on the NBN website:
OS map tile update for Recorder 6

6 (edited by Darwyn Sumner 22-03-2007 10:52:09)

I obtain the following error message on attempting to install from the new setup available at OS map tile update for Recorder 6

Recorder not properly installed or set-up: Can't find database.

Can anyone provide a solution, please?

Darwyn Sumner wrote:

I obtain the following error message on attempting to install from the new setup available at OS map tile update for Recorder 6

Recorder not properly installed or set-up: Can't find database.

Can anyone provide a solution, please?

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have been trying it on a number of different systems all returning similar errors.

Ive had success on one... but I cant work out why.

Ive looked for obvious registry/config problems to little avail.

Thoughts?

MAtt

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

Hi Matt

We weren't able to reproduce the problem here - but Darwyn did have some general problems with his installation of Recorder 6 which could have been causing it.

I'm not sure whether Darwyn has been able to install the Map Selector software since the problems with his Recorder 6 installation have been resolved - Darwyn can you shed any light here??

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Tried it again today on a perfect installation of Recorder 6.10
It still crashes
I still get the message "Recorder not properly installed or set-up: Can't find database."
Can we PLEASE have a solution to this - the problem is now over 2 years old
I want them on my laptop for the Dipterists Forum trip to Aviemore at the end of next month. Stuart Ball will be there - perhaps he can get it going
A new installation CD for Recorder 6 seems to be the answer - I'd be prepared to pay yet again

HI all,

I have been working with one of our key county recorders on setting up his recorder6.  He used to have recorder2000 running on an old machine, but ha now made the switch, on a new machine.  He obtained OS map tiles for R2000 and the registration keys needed, but never used them, and we would now like to put them on his Recorder 6 machine.  Obviously, I have read all the details in this thread, an on inserting the disc yesterday evening we got the error mentioned in Darwyns first post in this thread. So, I read on, and find the link to the NBN facility for upgrading the maps as listed below. However, as there is nothing on the NBN website at the moment, I wondered how we were going toproceed with this one.  Any suggestions welcome

Darwyn Sumner wrote:

Thanks, Jo.
I've found the new utility for OS Maps on the NBN website:
OS map tile update for Recorder 6

Louise, Cambridgeshire

I should add that between my March 2007 posting and my last one in this thread, there was a lot of email communication between Sarah Shaw, Jo Purdy, Mandy Henshall and myself - all trying to solve it.
Clearly, if several other users are having the same problem, it wasn't just my "dodgy" installation of Recorder 6.
The original Map Tile software was written by Blue Bag specifically for an older version of Recorder. Frankly I wouldn't expect an installation routine designed to detect an MSAccess 97 database to be able to detect a SQL Server/MSDE database.
It surely needs recommissioning from Blue Bag for a full rewrite.

Is there any news on this?

I've just installed Recorder 6 for a county recorder and would like to install the OS Map Tiles (which I bought ages ago and have never used). Like Darwyn I wouldn't mind too much having to pay again for a new version.

Interestingly the Map Tiles are still being advertised in the latest NBN News (Spring 2009). It says they are for use within Recorder 2002 and Recorder 6. Should I just put in a new order?

Margaret

A few years back discussions were reported between the NBN and OS about the possibility of upgrading the maps available for Recorder to 1/25,000 (Landranger) maps.

As I remember, at the time, this seemed to be almost imminent !!

Did anything come of this ?? What happened to the dsicussions ??

Steve J. McWilliam

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

As far as I know it is not possible to supply 1:25,000 maps due to issues with OS licencing (prohibitively expensive presumably). We are looking into the issues with the map tiles and will hopefully come to some resolution this financial year - it's clearly an issue that has been ongoing for some time now!

Margaret if you already have the map tiles I don't see why you need to buy new ones unless the ones you have are not compatible? I think the map tile installer uses the linked Access database (somehow) to install the tiles and if this is notm present it doesn't work. We now have a tool that recreates the linked Access database which should be useful.

Best Wishes,
Lynn

Margaret,

There is no need to buy another set of the OS map tile CDs, assuming you have the set of 5 CDs from the NBN, but what you do need is the software to load them into Recorder 6. When I last checked with the NBN I was told that the set of CDs itself has not been changed since they were first issued in about 2002, i.e. they still contain the software that loads the tiles into Recorder 2000/2. If you want to load them into R6 you need to install the version of the software that does that instead. I presume Mandy Henshall at the NBN will be able to e-mail it to you, m.henshall@nbn.org.uk. If not, let me know and I will track down my copy. I believe Mandy now supplies this when people order the map tiles.

This usually works but not in all installations. Investigations last year seemed to indicate that if there was a problem with nbndata.mdb, the Access database that is usually created when Recorder 6 is installed, the map tile installer doesn’t work. Also, if you don’t have the correct permissions on the Map Files folder. If, for example, nbndata.mdb doesn’t get installed or there is a problem with the permissions on it then map tile installer won’t install the map tiles, presumably because it is unable to make the required entries in the map tables in the R6 database via nbndata.mdb. The error message is usually "Recorder not properly set up or installed or set-up. Can't find database". The map tile installer also has to be able to copy the map tiles ordered from the CD to the Map Files folder, which it won’t be able to do if the permissions aren’t correct.

It is a shame the map tiles software uses nbndata.mdb as it is not unusual for this not to be created during the installation of Recorder 6, and as page 36 of Network Installation Guide v5.1.doc says:

“Note that when security of the Recorder 6 database is paramount then this file should be deleted, as it offers un-secure access to the data. Even if password protected the level of security is significantly reduced as tools to extract passwords from Access databases are freely available on the internet.”

I asked the NBN to find out from the developers what needs to be done to resolve these problems but I haven’t had an answer yet. Creating nbndata.mdb manually was attempted in one case but didn’t resolve the problem even after removing the dbo_ prefix from key tables. JNCC have since issued software to create nbndata.mdb but I don’t know if this resolves the problem as I haven’t had occasion to try it for this one.

The work around is to install the map tiles you require into a copy of R6 that doesn’t suffer from these problems – I think standalone installations are usually all right – this creates the required .gsf files in the Map Files folder. You can then load them one at a time into another copy of R6 using Maps – Add Background Maps or by using the Bulk Load add-in. If you do it this way you should ensure you are not contravening the licence agreement.

Several years ago the NBN did a survey asking whether users would like to be able to use 1:25,000 map tiles in Recorder but nothing seemed to come of it. You could, of course, buy them from OS but when I last enquired, there was a minimum order of £100 and the prices varied according to the number purchased and the number of terminals they were to be used on. This makes them much more expensive than the set of 1:50,000 tiles available from the NBN, currently £16. The problem in Recorder would be the number of map tiles it can comfortably handle. Recorder doesn’t handle more than about 50 map tiles well – perhaps a user could confirm this figure. Each 1:50,000 map tile covers an area 20x20 km but 1:25,000 tiles only cover 10x10 kms so you would need 4 times as many of them to cover the same area. This probably means they wouldn’t really be usable in Recorder for anyone other than those working with a very restricted area.

Lynn, could you please ensure that JNCC’s work in this area addresses the problem of Recorder’s mapping becoming more or less unusable when users load more than about 50 tiles, unless, of course, you are looking at alternative forms of delivery. I am not sure what the number is or exactly what it depends on. I once loaded 80 tiles into Recorder 2002 and it was slow but usable. However, one user said he had problems with Recorder 6 with considerably fewer than this loaded. The map tiles are no use to the national schemes and societies unless Recorder 6 will comfortably handle significantly more than 50 tiles, preferably all 812. If a usable limit continues to apply, they will need an easy way of switching them on and off. I once suggested that users should be able to load large numbers but switch then on and off by 100 km square to prevent performance problems in Recorder.

Best wishes,

Sally

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

This is an issue still unresolved after 3.5 years. I'm only posting this to ensure that it is not forgotten.
I (we) still have no resolution and the tiles are still being advertised in the NBN Newsletter.

Just to keep the pot boiling, I have just upgraded to R6.14 and downloaded the R6 installer for the map tiles, but I get the dreaded "Recorder not properly installed or set up: can't find database" message. This is very frustrating, as I would really like to use my map tiles!

I'm getting "Recorder not properly installed or set up: can't find Site ID" using the latest R6 map installer

Does your Recorder 6 Access database work? As far as I can work out the R6 installer for the map tiles needs this to install map tiles. The Access database is nbndata.mdb and in a standard standalone installation it will be in C:\Program Files\Recorder 6\Database. To check whether it works open it and open one of the tables, e.g. the Setting table. If you can see the contents, the database is working. It is not uncommon for opening a table to result in a message saying that the ODBC connection to the SQL Server database has failed, in which case it obviously isn’t working. If it isn’t working can you try recreating it using the tool provided by JNCC at http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-5005 then try installing the map tiles again.

It is a shame the map tiles software uses nbndata.mdb as it is not unusual for this not to be created during the installation of Recorder 6 and as page 36 of Network Installation Guide v5.1.doc says:

Note that when security of the Recorder 6 database is paramount then this file should be deleted, as it offers un-secure access to the data.  Even if password protected the level of security is significantly reduced as tools to extract passwords from Access databases are freely available on the internet.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

A new page on the new Recorder website steps through the process of installing the map tiles which may be of gerneral assistance: http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4648

Lynn