Re: Install onto SQL Server

In the standalone installation (from CD for standalone V 6.6.8) onto SQL server I get the following message:

[SQL-DMO] Service Control Error: The specified service does not exist as an installed service

This despite trying both the sa login and the "use my NT account" options, the latter should work as my SQL Server is set up as Windows authentication.
I noticed that at this point in the installation (Migration options) that the NBNData database was not amongst my SQL Server databases (in fact it was nowhere to be found, I expected an empty copy somewhere) - so I copied it in from my backup.
I have carried out the following:
1. attached the database I copied in
2. enabled the NBNUser login:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Update_One', 'NBNUser', 'NBNUser'

- from which I got the message

Server: Msg 15291, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 87
Terminating this procedure. The User name 'NBNUser' is absent or invalid.

3. tried a different sa setup by adding a password using

EXEC sp_password null, '<password>', 'sa'

Am now going to try the network installation CD - but if this is the correct route then a bit more clarity is needed on the CD labelling

Now I've tried the Network Installation CD.
I guess it was the better choice since at some point in the process there is an option

Create the Recorder 6 database and attach it to your instance of SQL Server/MSDE.

and then under login options I am able to specify

Use a trusted connection

Then the installation began to write somthing.
It overwrote the NBNData I'd previously imported (easy way to check this is to count the number of items there are in the Survey table using SQL Server Enterprise Manager - zero entries pretty well confirms that it's a new empty database) but no matter, I've still got the backup.
An attempt to start Recorder 6 now gives the following error again:

An error occurred whilst starting the application. EOle Exception: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen
(Connect ()).] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

So checking the documentation on the CD (Network Installation Guide) there's something I must do with the Registry:

Change the property value to the name of the SQL Server instance (unless you are using a named instance of SQL Server, the name of the server machine on the network is enough).

Well my Registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Dorset Software\Recorder 6 under Server Name is SUMNER/RECORDER - this doesn't seem to work and so I took a wild guess that, since the text RECORDER wasn't anywhere in sight when I installed my Developer version of SQL Server, that that part of the name isn't needed.
So I changed the entry to just SUMNER - and Recorder 6 now works.
Next jobs are to import my data again then do the two upgrades

3 (edited by TonyP 15-06-2009 16:14:08)

I have a similar problem to Darwyn;

An error occurred whilst starting the application. EOle Exception: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen
(Connect ()).] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I have installed SQL Express 2005 and the management studio. Installed Network R6.13a. Detached original mdb and attached the mdf in another folder on the same drive. I can see all the tables and contents in studio. I have created a security group and made myself a member of that group and applied the read/write access to the server install folder for that group.
I've installed the workstation files from the server folder as myself [an admin] and as the sys admin for the network.
Oh and I've used the 2005 Surface Area Config to give remote access through TCP/IP as it looked like that was needed for network access?

Anyone got any ideas please?

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Hi Tony,

Firstly can you please check the InstallSettings.ini file (open in notepad) in the network folder of Recorder and ensure that the Server name is correctly pointing at the relevant SQL Server instance.  This is the setting that will get put in the registry and identify to Recorder which server it should connect to.

Usually these error messages do pop up because of security issues.  If you're using a trusted connection then the user that you've logged onto the workstation pc with will require credentials to access the SQL server and database - this can be setup via Management Studio.

I did have an experience similar to this recently whereby Windows Firewall was causing an issue when Recorder ran for the first time on a client PC.  To circumnavigate the issue, we disabled Windows Firewall briefly on the network server, started up the client, then renenabled the firewall on the server. The workstation then worked fine after this.  If the client still does not connect, it may still give you a more useful error message, such as "user xxxx does not have permission on the server".

Let me know how you get on,

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]

5 (edited by TonyP 17-06-2009 13:03:15)

Thanks Simon, well things are a little clearer. I installed the management studio on the workstation and that gives more information. I can see the server machine along with other database engines on the system. There a sleight difference that may indicate something to someone. Some refer to the Machine\Instance and some to just Machine where only one database exist but all had the version "(8.0)" displayed after it except the Recorder, where only the machine was shown.
I enabled pipes as the message below;
[img]http://www.somerc.com/downloads/CannotConnect.jpg[/img]
This implies that named pipes were expected. I also enabled remote access though it was implied that this was only needed if accessing from another domain.

The ini file appears correct and refers to Machine\Instance

I took your advice and disabled the windows firewall and then in management studio I can see Machine\Instance and connect. Recorder however does not, preferring to say;
[img]http://www.somerc.com/downloads/R6NoConnect.jpg[/img]

I'm guessing it's now down to a security/permissions issue. Of interest was that my instance is called machine\SQLExpressR6 but having done the above the connection is to Machine\Recorder. That is not that which is stored in the ini file. Changing it did not make any difference and the same error above occurs.

Tony

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Hi Tony,

Recorder uses a Registry setting to identify which server and database to connect to, it does sound like it is pointing at the wrong one though.   

Fiddling with the registry can be a risky business so only proceed if you're happy to do so and make sure to take a backup of it just in case.

These can be found under the registry on the network PC under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Dorset Software\ Recorder 6 - you can access the registry by running the command 'regedit' from the run prompt. Under this setting it'll have  the node 'Server Name' - this identifies which instance of SQL to connect to.  It sounds like this is pointing at Machine\Recorder rather than Machine\SQLExpressR6.  If you change this registry setting manually then fingers crossed it should connect to the right server.

hope this helps,

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]