Re: Skills and examples

Hi

It would be really useful for me when to have a better idea of the types of skills someone might need to easily install and set up a basic recording site with Indicia.

Also, it would be useful to have a model of an Indicia powered recording site up and running that you can have a play with, is one available? Even if it is just the front end it would be a great way of showcasing all its functions.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

The main skills required for setting up an Indicia powered site are:
1) Ability to design your survey form, select an appropriate species list etc.
2) HTML & basic web page design
3) A little PHP and JavaScript to setup the functionality (though all the hard bits are already done for you)

Don't be put off by the latter - the coding required is really just a case of cutting and pasting the bits you want from the tutorials and modifying the parameters to your needs.

For installation, you would typically be using a server hosted by an organisation such as BRC so all you need is a web site account that allows you to upload web pages with PHP code on them. A typically "shared hosted" account will normally be fine.

Indicia includes some demonstration and example site pages. At the moment I am waiting for the domain name to be set up for a server - when this is ready I will let you know.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi

Look out for an article about the basics of Indicia by John in the next NBN News.
I will be developing my first website with Indicia soon and will be reporting on the experience.

Jim