Re: Moving Recorder database

Following on from my previous query under the title Importing file Access Error (not sure yet whether we have fixed that problem yet)

When we installed Recorder 6 onto our network, the database files were created in a folder which it shares with a number of other SQL databases. We would now like to move the database files to another location, in order to allow the setting of different user access permissions (at the file system level rather than database access permissions).

Can anyone explain to me how we can move the database files without losing the connection to the Recorder 6 front end. Is it simply a question of detaching the files, moving them and re-attaching in the new location (allowing SQL server to manage communications with the front end) or is there more to it?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Will you still be using the same SQL server and instance? 

If so, then you should be able to proceed with what you've suggested. Simply detach the database, move the sql nbndata.mdf and nbndata.ldf files to the new required file location, then reattach the database.  All the relevant permissions should all be retained.

If the database is being moved to a different SQL server then the process is more complicated.

Regards,

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]

Right now it will still be on the same server thanks Simon, so that's no problem.

We have plans however to move it to a dedicated server at some point, so if you could point me in the direction of the more complicated version that would be very useful (but no rush).

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Hello,
Simon, in your posting of 13/3/2009 you said:

"If the database is being moved to a different SQL server then the process is more complicated."

I can confirm, that it is complicated. We made via SQL Server (SQL Server 2000) a backup of our central Recorder database, copied the backup to a new Server (SQL Server 2008, 64bit), set the compatibility down to 2000 and restored the database on the new server.
On one workstation I uninstalled Recorder 6, changed the name of the Server name in the InstallSettings.ini to the new name and reinstalled Recorder 6 again. Starting Recorder after that, I get the following message, before I can select any user: EOleException: Login failed for user NBNUser
We tried to work about the NBNUser and his rights on the SQL Server, but couldn't make Recorder to accept. We also found a user called something like "Dev JNCC". We can successsfully connect to the database by ODBC. And by uninstalling, rechanging the server name in the ini file and reinstalling again I can go back to the old server. So nothing is lost. But we want to move the data to the new server and so it would be great, if somebody could give me a hint, how to move our Recorder database to the new server.

Any help would be great,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Ritter
Data and GIS Officer
Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust
( 01865 775476 Ext. 208
* The Lodge, 1 Armstrong Road, Littlemore, OX4 4XT
WolfgangRitter@BBOWT.org.uk