1 (edited by Richard Ostler 30-06-2006 09:26:08)

Re: Schema Changes

For information, we've made the following changes to the NBN query and data schemas:

gateway_data.xsd
1. Provided a new implementation for selecting a list of datasets. The response element DatasetSummaryList provides metadata for one or more datasets. No species data is returned with this response.

2. For the Species element, renamed the child element Spp to ScientificName. Hopefully this should make the purpose of the element clearer.

3. For the Species element, replaced the TaxonGroupList child element with the TaxonGroup element. A species can only belong to one taxon reporting group, e.g. insect - butterflies, so the TaxonGroupList is unnecessary.

gateway_query.xsd
1. Renamed the SpeciesConservationStatus type to SpeciesDesignation. This has been done to reflect the changed purpose of this type. Originally this was intended to let you filter a species list to some conservation designation such as BAP. However, the type has become more general being used to define any list of species, e.g., Scotlands favorite species.

2. Renamed attribute status to designation

3. Provided an implementation for DatasetListRequest. This request element lets get metadata for one or more datasets for either a species, species group or by providing one or more dataset keys.

These changes mean some queries will stop working. Over the next few days we will be publishing updated examples and documentation to the web services library at http://www.searchnbn.net/library/webservices/wsIndex.jsp

[b]Richard Ostler[/b]
NBN Developer

Hi

I am assuming that the schema changes are the reason for the new problem with the Taxonomy Search Web Service http://212.219.37.104/NBNWebServices/ex … Search.jsp. Basically it works if you know the TVK (e.g. NBNSYS0000005133) but fails if you use the species name option (i.e. Otter or Lutra lutra).

The problem is that our web site's data search http://www.nesbrec.org/speciessearch.php uses the same web service and I can't see a simple way round it :(

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

Hi Nick,

Sorry, it should be working fine now. This past week we've moved to a dedicated web services database server, however, we've had a couple of problems with permissions on some of the stored procedures. So it looks like this was just a permissions issue.

Thanks for spotting and letting us know.

Richard

[b]Richard Ostler[/b]
NBN Developer

Hi Richard

Thanks for fixing it so quickly. I realise that this service is still in beta phase but you have clearly demonstrated that there is good support so I think that others should not hesitate to start using this service.

However this has highlighted to me the need to include in my code an automated alert when there is an unexpected problem. This is good practice anyway - just that I have not got round to doing it :)

Thanks again

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

One thing we plan to set up is a system to register your contact details with us. So, as well as posting notcies to the forum, we'll also be able to email you directly, for example, if the service is down for maintenance. I shall post a message here when the it is available.

Cheers

Richard

[b]Richard Ostler[/b]
NBN Developer

Hi Richard,

Just trying to work through some of these changes now.

gateway_data.xsd

3. For the Species element, replaced the TaxonGroupList child element with the TaxonGroup element. A species can only belong to one taxon reporting group, e.g. insect - butterflies, so the TaxonGroupList is unnecessary.

Is the TaxonGroup element the TaxonReportingCategory ?  Its the only new element I can see in this area ?

Also - many thanks for fixing the serialisation of the map url so it is now available in the .NET response class object in this version of the schemas - thats excellent :D

Best wishes
James

Hi James,

There have been a couple of revisions for the Species element. First replaced the TaxonGroupList child element with the TaxonGroup element. Later the TaxonGroup element was replaced by the TaxonReportingCategory element (see this post for details: http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=65).

So the Species element now looks like:

<xsd:element name="Species">
        <xsd:complexType>
            <xsd:sequence>
                <xsd:element ref="nbn:ScientificName"/>
                <xsd:element ref="nbn:CommonName" minOccurs="0"/>
                <xsd:element ref="nbn:Authority" minOccurs="0"/>
                <xsd:element ref="nbn:TaxonReportingCategory" minOccurs="0"/>
                <xsd:element ref="nbn:SpeciesAttributes" minOccurs="0"/>
            </xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:attribute name="taxonVersionKey" type="xsd:ID" use="required" />
        </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

Hope that clears things up.

cheers,

Richard

[b]Richard Ostler[/b]
NBN Developer