Re: Limit on number of grid squares?

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of grid squares that can be assigned to a location in Recorder 6?

I have managed to assign 48 1k squares to a location, but if I try to add more I get the error:

Exception path:
ESpatialRefSystemConversionError : The spatial reference system cannot be recognised.

(system should recognise SK1386 as it has already recognised SK1287, so I assume it is related to the number of squares)

Potential workaround would be to substitute tetrads where all 4 1k squares are associated with the location, but this seemed to cause problems recognising tetrad/1k relations between parent/child locations when I tried it in R2002 - resulting in errors like "All grid squares have to be within the parent location"

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

I am also now having a similar problem with this at a smaller scale.

I have now received a similar error message for a site with only 4 grid squares. It allowed me to enter ST 9800 and ST9801, but gives an error message if I try to add ST9700 or ST9701. I had previously added all 4 squares (among others) to the parent site successfully.

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 21/02/2008 11:52:16.
Version : 6.10.4.120

Exception path:
ESpatialRefSystemConversionError : The spatial reference system cannot be recognised.

Last event\actions: 
  actObservations invoked
  TfrmObservations created
  TfrmLocations deactivated
  TfrmObservations activated
  TfrmSurveyDetails created
  TfrmSurveyDetails destroyed
  TfrmSurveyDetails created
  TfrmObservations deactivated
  TfrmLocations activated

Operating System : Windows XP  5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Physical Memory available : 1,039,724 KB

DLLs loaded:
  advapi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  comctl32.dll (5.82.2900.2180)
  comdlg32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  gdi32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  HHCtrl.ocx (5.2.3790.1194)
  kernel32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  mpr.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  MS5.Dll (5.0.0.12)
  MS5User.Dll (5.0.0.4)
  odbc32.dll (3.525.1117.0)
  ole32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  oleaut32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  shell32.dll (6.0.2900.2180)
  user32.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  version.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winmm.dll (5.1.2600.2180)
  winspool.drv (5.1.2600.2180)

Information has been saved to the file Q:\LastError.txt
Gordon Barker
National Trust

A little more investigation now makes me suspect I have 2 different problems producing the same error message

The second problem appears to be that, in Location - Geo Info - Grid Squares it is not possible to add a grid square for a sub-site that is not in the first 10 listed grid squares for the parent site, as you get the error message as above when you try to save. (Note, the first 10 that appear are not the first 10 entered, there appears to be some randomish ordering*). The workaround was to promote the subsite to the top layer, add the grid squares and then move back into its correct place in the location hierarchy. However this now needs to be done every time you need to edit the site details e.g after replacing the subsite in the location hierarchy I noticed a typo in the site name. Attempting to correct this, without rearranging the hierarchy back and forth, results in the same spatial reference conversion error.

The first problem still appears to be a limit on the number of grid squares as this still happens when there are no limiting grid squares for locations higher up in the location hierarchy.

*PS has there been a feature request to be able to make grid squares appear in alphabetical order?

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi Gordon

Just a very quick response to say that I haven't missed this post and I will look into this further when I can.

Best wishes,

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Gordon

I've managed to have a quick look at the above this afternoon.

I am unable to reproduce the first problem - I created a Location and extracted over 300 squares altogether and saved this ok without any unhandled errors - is there any other information you could give me to help reproduce?

I am able to reproduce the second problem - for the above location I was unable to save a subsite of this, regardless of whether I associated the subsite with a boundary or not, or whether the central spatial ref was within the boundary of the parent site or not.

I'll flag this as an oustanding bug that needs to be resolved.

I'll also add sorting grid squares alphabetically to list of feature requests.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Thanks Sarah

Looking at this again, it appears that now I cannot make any changes to some of these large locations, if I click Edit and then Save without making any changes then I get the same spatial reference error, but it does not stop me from adding grid squares to locations that only have 2 squares to start with. Would it help to send you an export of the database?

(Currently running on MSDE across a network, operating as System Manager)

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi

Can someone confirm that this problem wasn't picked up in time for the 6.13 update?

Also I have found another problem with extracting squares:

Using the extract squares button from within the location only extracts a handful of squares, e.g. only 5/6 1k squares compared to 20+ when done by selecting the same associated polygon in the map layer and using that extract button. This seems only to apply to complex polygons with large numbers of nodes.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi Gordon,

Sorry, but Sarah did not get round to reporting this issue. However I've just tried this in version 6.13 and I can't reproduce either of the problems. There were lots of fixes and general improvements in version 6.13 so it is possible that it was fixed anyway. When you get round to the update, would it be possible for you to double check if the problem still exists please?

Kind Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Yes, am still having the problems in 6.13

Gordon Barker
National Trust

10 (edited by Gordon Barker 23-07-2008 15:39:33)

John,

just to expand on yesterday's quick reply, I now think that the problem is slightly different from how I initially reported it, and I have possibly found other problems since in trying workarounds.

1) The original problem was to do with adding 1k grid squares to large locations under the Geo Info - Grid Squares tab, and apparently hitting a maximum limit to the number that could be added 'manually'. As large numbers of squares can now be added by associating a polygon and extracting squares, I haven't checked this again in 6.13 so it may no longer be a problem.

2) Another problem appears to be that a sub-site cannot be saved if any of its grid squares do not appear within the first 10 squares listed for the parent site. This also appears to be true if there are no grid squares associated, but the grid reference for the location is not in the first ten squares. (It may also be the case that a site can not be edited if its own grid reference is not within the first ten, but I have only noticed this today and will need to check the circumstances for this further.) Still happening in 6.13. Extracting grid squares via the map screen avoids this problem initially, but renders the location uneditable.

3) There may also be some problems with the function for associating polygons and extracting grid squares. Again I probably need to do some further investigation to pin it down. Extracting grid squares from within the Location - Geo Info - Grid Squares tab seems to work where the associated polygon is simple, e.g. where the polygon is already a series of contiguous grid squares joined into a single block, but when the polygon is complex, directly imported from GIS, it only adds a handful of squares.  Running the extract squares from the map screen seems to work for any polygon, but causes problems if you have two polygons you want to associate. The second extraction appears to cause a failure if there is an overlap between the grid squares of the two polygons. I will find a suitable candidate site to check this on again as I managed to fix it on the first site I had this problem but cant remember how.

Apart from this 6.13 seems to be going pretty well, and the fixes for previous problems seem to have worked, but that only seems to give me more time to find new ones :)

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your efforts. I think JNCC need to confirm these issues and raise them for fixing in the next release of Recorder. If you can provide step by step instructions on reproducing the issue it would be very helpful.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

I am also getting the same problems for data entry and editing. Either for editing an existing record to its correct location or adding a new record I am getting the Spatial Conversion Error if the grid reference is not within the first few grid squares in the list. Hopefully there will not be many records that will need to be associated with a location of over 10 sq km rather than within sub-sites, but it appears to be related.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

There seems to be a suite of behaviours that are causing the same spatial reference error. Hopefully these are now being consistent enough to enable the problem to be fixed for the next release.

Related to this - the extraction button in the location hierarchy appears to only be extracting whole grid squares not boundary squares which is why it looks like it is not working properly. If you need to extract boundary grid squares as well as whole ones it is best for now to use the extraction button on the map window. Hopefully this will also behave consistently in the next issue.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same issues.
Lynn Heeley
JNCC

Hi Lynn,

Do you know if this was fixed in the current update?

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi Gordon,

These issues which are producing the same error - ESpatialRefSystemConversionError - are due to be fixed in the next release. The latest release (6.13.3) was a mini release which fixed a set of incidents which cropped up between versions rather than major on-going bugs which this is. It will be fixed next time - this version will include a series of enhancements which we are working on at the moment and will not be ready for release until nearer the end of the financial year - sorry these things take time to complete.

The issues  surrounding extracting overlapping grid squares and associating more than one polygon with a boundary may have to wait till the time after next due to funding, we'll have to wait and see to some extent.

Hope this helps,
Lynn

No worries. Thanks for letting us know

G

Gordon Barker
National Trust

I intend to post a detailed list of bugs that are being fixed in the next release - I was waiting for the enhancements to be finalised to be able to include them on the list as well as they will all come out in the same version. I will post it as soon as I can.

Lynn

Just for the pot.

We had a recurring problem where we had more than one entry for the same grid square in a location.
This came about either through miskeying or merges of locations (where grid squares are just added together - and not rationalised).
Whenever any editing of the location occurred, the error would jump up and not allow any saving, until the duplicate square had been removed.

I think this is still a problem - but only when we try and edit one of these rogue locations.

M

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

Thanks Matt. I'm surprised that the system let you enter duplicates - whenever I tried to (by mistake) when testing this issue it wouldn't let me enter it. How did you manage to enter duplicates?

Lynn

Matt/Lynn

I have been able to create duplicates but only as a result of a merge between 2 locations that have the same gridsquare. This was certainly the case in  R2002, and I think it still happens in 6. It is also possible to get duplicates of other Geo Info items in the same way - I remember a similar topic on the forum but am not sure if it was in relation to land parcel or boundary.

It appears that the merge tool simply adds these items to the list of those associated with a location without doing any checking for duplicates, so the error is only noticed when you attempt to edit and save the location. Can't say it was often a major problem to locate the duplicated squares, although this is another case where it would be useful to be able to sort the list of grid squares alphabetically if you needed to check a location with large numbers of squares. I haven't found any other problems that follow from the duplication of squares.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

We, at Tullie House work hard at these things.

In truth I dont know. I may be jumping the gun and they all came about from merging.
But I havent kept a close enough eye on it to confirm that.

So until I have evidence of the former, I will retract the scurrilous slur on Recorders abilities.

The merge thing though is verifiable.

M

Tullie House Museum

These problems don't go away however long we keep them out of mind.

I was doing a bit of innocent tidying up of locations - merging duplicates etc, etc.

I start to receive the 'Unknown spatialRef system error' and the focus jumps to the grid squares tab.
Hummmm?

Looking at the Grid_Squares table I find a load of spatial_ref_system values empty on the locations I have been editing.
More hummmm?

I dig further, and summarise:

I have this location which has 13 grid squares associated, and two names. All GRID_SQUARE.SPATIAL_REF_SYSTEM values are set at OSGB.

I edit the location - make a change to one of the names and save. FINE.
I edit again and try to save - get the spatialrefsystem error.

I check the GRID_SQUARE table - three values have had the spatial_ref_system values removed - the last three values of the location I have been editing.
I reset them, and I can edit again - once, before the error starts again.

i.e. the act of editing resets the grid square values - but only sets the first ten as OSGB, any more than that get theirs removed. Without the OSGB value - the Spatialrefsystem error appears.

So the ten value grid square thing as identified by Gordon is very much there. I cant confirm the sub site thing.

M

Tullie House Museum

I can confirm that this suite of spatialref errors (often relating to the top ten grid refs) has been tackled in 6.14 so hopefully it will no longer trouble us! Obviously after the release if it does raise its ugly head again please let me know.

Thanks,
Lynn