Re: Import Location Data

I'm new to Recorder, and have just installed Recorder 6.

I have a spreadsheet of 7,500 species sighting/signs records, containing c 2,000 unique locations.

The import facility validates data including locations. I'd prefer not to have to input that many locations manually prior to importing the species records. I don't yet sufficiently know the database tables and relatonships to use SQL outside of Recorder to populate the relevant tables with location data.

Does anyone know a work around, please ?

If you want to create the locations you can use the Make new entry option on the location matching window of the Import Wizard. You don't have to create them first. Alternatively, you can make the location information in your import file go into Location Name, which is a text field for any location information of your choosing, by selecting 'Location Name' instead of 'Location' at the column selection stage of the Wizard. Location is for a location from your Location hierarchy, Location Name is for any additional text. Many users import data from Excel files using Location Name instead of Location to save having to do a lot of location matching or to save having to create a lot of locations for all the different versions that may be in import files. If you are new to the wizard I recommend backing up your database and trying it with say 100 observations. You can then try doing things a few different ways and restore your backup prior to doing a live import of all 7,500 observations.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'll import the column to Location Name rather than Location.