Re: Mapinfo - problem with cookie cutter

I use MapInfo 6.5 and seek help achieving what ought to be a simple task.  - using a cookie-cutter to cut out map data for my region of interest.

I have installed a free cookie-cutting tool (cookie98-38.mbx) which works brilliantly when I tried to cut out my county''s solid geology from a free UK MapINfo layer (available at http://www.bgs.ac.uk/products/digitalmaps/data_625k.html)

Unfortunately I work to two different definitions of Derbyshire - the Watsonian Vice county, plus the modern adminstrative county of Derbyshire.  These overlap to create one slightly larger region I term "Greater Derbyshire", and it's this larger region that I wish to cut out and use.

I have these two boundaries as two separate MapInfo tables. But try as I might, I cannot manage to merge them together to create one greater region which I can use as the cookie-cutter template.

If anyone can guide me through this, I'd be most grateful.

Nick Moyes
Derby Museum & Art Gallery
nick.moyes@derby.gov.uk

Nick you can only merge objects if they are in the same table:

* Copy one of your tables (Save copy as) to a new table, e.g. 'GreaterDerbyshire'
* Open this table and make it editable
* Open the table that you did not use to create the new one
* Select the region object from this table then do a copy and paste

This results in a new table with both your region objects in.

* Select both regions from this new table
* Use the Object>Combine menu option to merge them into a single feature
* Save the table

You can now use the new object as your cookie cutter.

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

3 (edited by DBRC 14-01-2009 16:06:52)

So simple once you know how!

I'm now the proud owner of some brand new DMAP boundary files showing the geology of my region.  Your guidance on this was much appreciated, Richard.

Nick Moyes
Derby Museums & Art Gallery