Re: The Recorder Website - Have your say

The process of updating and improving the Recorder website, currently hosted by Dorset Software, has finally begun!
We would like to invite your ideas and comments to make this a more successful process. You can do this by either posting replies to this announcement or if you have more detailed ideas you can use the link on the left to email me directly.

To save everyone mentioning the basics/useful links to retain from the current website the following ideas are on the initial list for possible inclusion:
Buying Recorder 6 (including training opportunities and support availalbe from recorder experts)
Download latest version
Download dictionary updates (with more detailed instructions)
Forum link
Wiki link
Addins link
Project info area (Collections Module etc)
News (can subscribe to and linked to a news archive and forum)
Announcements (can subscribe to and linked to forum announcements)
A more introductory section (what Recorder is, detailed history, structure of funding/planning)
Future ideas list
Known bugs (with a way of showing which have been fixed and which are outstanding)
Latest changes (running table of details of each version)
Useful documents area
Possibly two areas for R3 and R2002 info and addins etc

This is your chance to assist us in making this a really useful resource, thank you in advance for your contribution.

Lynn
JNCC

I'd like to see a 'support' section that lists all of the ways one can get support, including this forum, the wiki, the resellers, JNCC (or, at least, information on the role of JNCC) and people/orgs with expertise (like ExeGesIS, BiodiverseIT, etc).

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles - yes this would be great - I've already listed this connected to the Buying Recorder 6 section - but your idea to make it more comprehensive and listing the wiki and forum in this section as well is great.

Cheers,
Lynn

Lynn

New web site sounds ideal – structure looks like it will help solve the where to find current info from – obviously critical thing is keeping it up to date!!!

Really simple thing but can we have somewhere on the front page the latest version of Recorder and the latest Dictionary version number - this is something people are constantly asking me and I have to keep looking up on our machine as I don't know where it is easily always available.

Sara

Sara Hawkswell

The Wildlife Information Centre
[i]for Lothians and the Scottish Borders[/i]

Good idea Sara. The latest version of Recorder is available on the updates page and the same with the dictionary version - but linking this to the front might be helpful (also I think it would be useful to have the latest version of the dictionary in the summary info in Recorder - currently there is the Recorder version but not the dictionary version).
Thanks for your thoughts.
Lynn

I'd like to see a site that relates to me as a current non-user of Recorder!

It will tell me clearly and simply what the product can do, show me what it looks like, and make me want to use it to manage my data.

I'd like to see some video clips of the product in use; get a sense of how easy it is to perform basic tasks, and reassure me how little technical knowledge I will need to operate it successfully.
I'd like to see some case studies to get a sense of who is using it, and what they think of it, and some real world examples of  R6 outputs.
Be honest, and tell me what it can't do today that other products can.
Show me that I won't need to employ an IT Officer to keep it running, and put up some "How TO Do It" pages that I can work through when I finally take the plunge to get my data moved across.

Hope this helps!

Nick Moyes
Keeper of Natural Sciences
Derby Museum & Art Gallery

Thanks for your thoughts Nick - great feedback - a couple of these I already had in mind. The others I will log as potentials (I'll do what I can).

Thanks for your time,
Lynn