Re: R2002 ->R6 errors

Hello all.  I have just successfully installed R6 under Vista, and yesterday attempted for the first time to migrate the R2002 data to R6. 

I got a few hundred errors in the UpgradeErrors file: BIOTOPE_LIST_ITEM (1), INDEX_TAXON_GROUP (5), INDEX__TAXON_SYNONYM (31), LOCATION (155), LOCATION_ADMIN_AREA (153), LOCATIO_NAME (155), LOCATION_TYPE (1), TAXON_COMMON_NAME (5), TAXON_LIST_ITEM (6), TAXON_VERSION (38), and TAXON_DETERMINATION (89).

With the exception of the last table (where the errors refer to 2 taxa, and I should be able to sort these out easily) the records are all supplied in the original R2002 database - I have not entered any of them.  How do I deal with these errors?

Thanks in advance for the solution.

Murdo

You need to correct the problems in Recorder 2002 and then re-run the transfer. To track these down I suggest looking at the foreign keys in the taxon determinations, e.g. the taxon occurrence keys in them should be in the taxon occurrence table in Recorder 2002, although I have seen a number of databases where these have been missing. Presumably a problem existed in Recorder 2002 at some stage that allowed this to happen. You may be able to use other data in the taxon determination to track down the problem otherwise you may have no choice but to ignore instances of this error. Also check that the taxon list item keys are in the taxon list item table and the index taxon name table in Recorder 6. I am not convinced that user added taxa always transfer as they should. Also check the other foreign keys like entered by and changed by. If you have used the merge data items tool to merge people this may have caused problems as I suspect it doesn’t update these fields when it should although I have never had time to prove this.

As stated in section 3 of Sarah Shaw’s document – see her post on 24/09/07: http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=449 – you can safely ignore the system supplied items in UpgradeErrors.mdb.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

That is excellent, Sally.  I suspected as much, but missed the significance of that bit of Sarah's document.  I had already sorted the Taxon Determination errors.

Murdo