Re: Recorder upgrade

I'm having a problem running the RecorderUpgrade.exe package. It gives me a permissions error for BiotopesMatch.htm (and presumably all subsequent files) and then just bails out. I can extract all the upgrade files from the UpgradeFiles.zip compressed file and copy them across manually from the same account on the workstation with no problem, but then how do I incoporate the scripts into the upgrade?

Cheers

Iain

Okay, looks like plan b might be required anyway - has anyone tried SQL Server Express 2008 with recorder 6 and if so is this a viable route to go down?

Yes, I just tried it. The initial part of the R6 install "sees" the SQL Server 2008 Express instance, but after the re-boot when the install is trying to set up the database I get:

"Failed to connect to local SQL Server. Automatic setup of the database failed. To connect to the server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or Sql Server Management objects".

This occurs whether I use the "sa" login or Windows authentication.

I'm still working (in between 10 other jobs) on attaching the database via Management Studio (which I've done successfully with 2005 before but there seem to be additional problems with 2008).

Can anyone confirm that an R6 install onto SQL Server 2005 works fine these days?

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

I've successfully got this working on 2008 express by pretty much following the instructions in the network install guide for recorder (5.1) page 10. We needed to migrate to something which allowed more space both in terms of machine and MSDE so it's now on a different server. Backup scripts run overnight which succesfully back up the database as well as scripting for a couple of other things - so far haven't come across any problems with this configuration.

Cheers

Iain

5 (edited by AlanHale 27-11-2008 15:56:26)

Hi Iain

Thanks for this. I've tried the same procedure but found two problems:

1) (In SQL Server Mgt Studio) I couldn't make NBNData the default database for my newly-created NBNUser login - I got the following error:

User, group, or role 'NBNUser' already exists in the current database. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15023)

I had to delete the NBNUser user in the database and the associated schema and re-create both.

2) The EXEC query would not run - it just was sent straight the debugger, which froze.

However, I find I can still log in to Recorder after I've switched the server name in the Registry

I haven't applied any of the updates from 6.10 yet, nor tried to replace the defaults installation database with my back up from a previous (SQL Server Express 2005-based) R6 installation.

Cheers

Alan

Recorder 6 has not yet been tested on SQL Server Express 2008, so I would recommend using the 2005 edition which the installation procedure works with.
Responding to point 1, this sounds like you had created a server login NBNUser but not managed to link it to the existing database user NBNUser. Did you try running the following script?

EXEC sp_change_users_login ‘update_one’, ‘nbnuser’, ‘nbnuser’

If so, did it work OK ?

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]

Hi Simon

Thanks for this. I like to live on the edge :-)

I'll retry with 2005. Are you confirming that it will install straight on to SQL Server Express 2005 now, without having to go through this procedure of migrating from MSDE?

Regarding your question - see my Point 2.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Uh-oh. After a lot of messing around I realised that I forgot (when running the EXEC query) to select the NBNData database from the drop-down list in Management Studio, so I was attempting to run the query on the Master database. I should have known better I've fallen foul of this one before.

I'm still on SQL Server 2008 Express by the way - I want to see how that goes. So far OK.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Just for information - I've now successfully installed 6.10 on SQL Server Express 2008, carried out all the upgrades to 6.13.3, updated the dictionaries, and attached the NBNData files from my previous installation (on SQL Server Express 2005). So far no problems, either with data entry or reporting.

Alan

Alan Hale
Aberystwyth

Hi Alan

Good to here it's working well - I'm certainly happy with SQL Server 2008 as well - I particularly like the option of editing the attributes directly within Management Studio rather than having to go through Access - although this feature would have to be used with extreme caution. We are now happy that we've got a very reliable and robust system at NESBReC to see us through to the New Year! Hmmm...?

Cheers

Iain