Re: Using Recorder 6 with no Windows admin rights....

Hi All
We would like to provide a satellite office with a copy of Recorder 6. Unfortunately the IT in the office has been outsourced and the people who will use recorder do not have admin rights on their xp logins. Initially satellite office would have a standalone copy of Recorder but in the medium term would like to become networked (on a small scale) so a few people in the office could access Recorder at the same time.
Has anyone else had dealings with this kind of set up? What issues come up with the lack of xp admin rights?
I’m just getting to grips with SQL (as you may have noticed from my previous posts) but from what I’ve read it seems that SQL authentication may get round problems with dictionary updates and version upgrades.
Once again, I’d be grateful for any of your thoughts
Cheers
David

[color=blue]David Angel[/color]
[color=blue]Data Officer[/color]
[color=blue]The Wildlife Information Centre[/color]

I don't think admin rights are necessary in order to run Recorder, just to get it set up in the first place. What you do need is to have the people logging in at the satellite to have read/write permissions on the server Recorder is held on, even if they are only querying the database. Although I am System Manager for the database I do not have admin privileges, which are jealously guarded by IS.

We currently have a MSDE network set up with about a dozen installations, half at head office and half at regional/local offices (don't think we've had more than 5 people trying to access it at once yet so not come up against that problem). One important issue seems to be the amount of time it takes to get connected to the database for those with lower bandwidth broadband.

(if none of this makes sense its because I can't find the IT guy who can explain it properly)

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Thanks for the reply Gordon.

It all made sense, so no need to find the IT guy.

I guess then that when the IT contractors install Recorder and MSDE, they will setup MSDE so that the users have read/write permissions; and that new users will have to be added by them also.

David

Yes, we run most of our copies here without admin rights and for the most part it runs fine. There is a problem with a registry setting that sometimes gets changed at startup which requires admin right, but that is easily solved with a change of permissions in the registry. If you give all of your Recorder users permissions to edit the registry entry mentioned in that post you shouldn't have a problem.

Other than that, the easiest route to take is to give Full Control permissions to your Recorder users on the Recorder program folder, which usually gets installed to C:\Program Files\

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

Thanks Charles