Re: Importing site details

We use spreadsheets to input most of our data and then import them to Recorder through the import wizard. Vice county and altitude are in the spreadsheets and get matched to the appropriate fields in the importer, but that's the last we ever see of them! They don't seem to be held on the site details anywhere. Am I missing something?

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Vice-county is only used for records with locations that aren’t matched to locations in the location hierarchy. In these cases the records are linked to the entries in ‘Vice-counties’ or ‘Irish Vice-counties’ – the 155 entries in the location hierarchy in Recorder 6 at installation. Altitude should go into sample measurements.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Thanks, that explains it. I was looking at the altitude on the location itself, but it does make sense to hold it against each individual sample.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Another question. I am now importing large volumes of records from spreadsheets which include location habitat notes and comments on the extent and purpose of site visits, which should end up in the location and survey event comments fields respectively. There doesn't seem to be any way to handle these in the importer. This information is important and we don't want to lose it, but the only option seems to be to edit the location and event details after import to copy the additional information in. Is there any other way round this?

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Janet
Survey_event comment already exists I think. We could add location comment as an additional option butI dont have time right now. Your reseller might be able to help or we could add this to the list for the next version rollout.
Steve

Thanks, Steve. I hadn't noticed that Survey event comment was now available, so we'll put all the comments in there for the time being. Anything to avoid all that cutting and pasting!

If location comment could be added as an option in a future release it would be helpful.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Sadly, this is not a solution after all. Using the survey event comment field causes the same error that was reported by Alex in May, the importer fails on processing the import file with the error:

Exception occurred in application Recorder 6 at 18/10/2008 11:13:09.
Version : 6.13.2.176

Exception path:
EOleException : The text, ntext, and image data types cannot be compared or sorted, except when using IS NULL or LIKE operator

Under Vista the file LastError.txt is not created so there is no further information.

We were told in May that there was a fix for this, can you give us any idea of when it will be available? Will we get LastError.txt back at the same time?

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Hi Janet,

I think you are referring to a post by alexkin in July this year? I posted a reply to explain that we had found a solution to the error with the survey_event comment field in the import wizard in August. The fix for this is part of the next (bug-fixing) release due out later this year (the details of the bugs are currently being costed at Dorset). The release will be announced on the forum; until the bugs are costed it is difficult to tell you anything other than a vague date for this release (as it depends on how much work is involved in building and testing the fixes prior to release).

I will log the location-event comments field in the request for new features - great idea.

One more thing, are you using Vista? The new release should hopefully enable Recorder to run more smoothly with Vista (I will try now add the fact that the LastError.txt is not currently appearing - hopefully you will get this too).

Sorry, I'm not sure whether this has helped much!
Best Wishes,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the update, I think. You are right, it was the July post I was referring to. It looks as if we will have to continue with copying our comments fields in manually for the time being. As for Vista, losing LastError.txt is another of the niggling problems caused by the system trying to write to folders in Program Files where the software is installed. If the next upgrade fixes this, it will be welcome.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society