Re: Problems with Recorder 6 Import

This is just for information, in case anyone else has a similar problem - it has now been solved.

Since installing Recorder 6 using SQL Server 5 Express on a network, I have been unable to import data getting the error message:

Exception path:
EOleException : ODBC--insert on a linked table 'SQLSERVER_SURVEY_EVENT' failed
EDBMergerError : Error occurred transferring records for SQLSERVER_SURVEY_EVENT into the main database

After long discussions with Sally Rankin we decided it had to be a SQL Server permissions problem, but finding the incorrect permission was more difficult - NBNUser was identical to that on Sally's machine.

I eventually found that it was my computer log-on user, which although I'd set it up at top level, able to create databases, it had little or no permissions in Recorder - this didn't seem to bother Recorder under normal useage, but it fell over if I tried to import or to add plug-ins.

Giving my log-on the same permissions within NBNData as NBNUser appears to have solved the problem!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Hi Craig
Thanks for this. Can you give us a bit more information here as it would probably be useful to update the documentation. What rights did your login user have and exactly what changes did you have make?
Steve

Hi Craig,
Do you know if your system was setup to use Trusted Security for Recorder or not?   If need be this can be found from the registry (via running regedit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Dorset Software -> Recorder 6  - Trusted Security flag. 

If this flag is set to '1' then Recorder & in turn the Import Wizard will connect to the database server using the logged in users credentials, if it is set to '0' it will use the SQL 'NBNUser' account instead.

Simon Wood
[url=http://www.dorsetsoftware.com/]Dorset Software Services[/url]