Re: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL NBN WEB SERVICES USERS

As you probably know, the NBN Gateway now runs on a new hardware infrastructure, which should offer better performance and reliability for the future. For the last six weeks, we've been running web services in parallel on both the old and new infrastructure to ensure they are working correctly and to minimise disruption to users as we change over.

However, on 12th September the old infrastructure will be decommissioned and web services will only be available from the new infrastructure. So you will need to update the code that you use to access them.

If you are using PHP (and NuSOAP), or referencing the web services directly from your development environment, then the change is straightforward. You simply need to change the address of the WSDL from the old numeric address to:
http://www.nbnws.net/ws/WSDL (for non-authenticated web services)
or
http://www.nbnws.net/ws/secure/WSDL (if you use digest authentication)

There have been some minor additions to our web services schema but existing code will work with it.

If you use the Java (.jar) or .NET (.dll) clients from our library, you will need to download the new versions from here:
http://data.nbn.org.uk/library/webservices/clientTools.jsp

You will find some differences between the previously published clients and the new ones. We apologise for this. It's because the tools that convert a WSDL to proxy classes have changed since we first used them. Your existing code will not work with the new clients, though the changes you will need to make should be minor. They are mainly differences in class names and changes in the returned classes (for example Array return types are now Lists). All of the Java examples in our library use the new .jar so please use these for reference (http://www.searchnbn.net/library/webservices/wsIndex.jsp). I will publish a full list of the changes we have spotted for the clients as soon as I can.

If you have any further questions or need any help at all to update your code, please post here or email me directly and I'll advise wherever I can.

Andy Brewer

Thanks Andy - looks like I may have a bit of work to do ...

Sept 12th is fairly soon (i.e. a month away) given that some people may not be contactable for a few weeks due to leave

Is this a hard and fast date - or could there be a short stay of execution if needed (not saying it is yet - just asking ....)

Best wishes
James

Hi James,
Yes. I'm sorry that this is a bit tight. Unfortunately, I think this is about as late as we can manage. I was just writing an email to you to check who your clients are and what we may be able to do to help. SNH WIMBY are aware of the change but there is also GIGL WIMBY and the LRC screening client that I know about. Any others?
Andy

Hi Andy

If we use the new WSDL address, will this return the new format for responses?  If so, then I can start making changes now and complete testing by September 12th.

Also I may have misunderstood, but if the responses are coming back as lists then I will have to rewrite a lot of my code as it was quite complex dealing with the arrays but in the long term, lists should be easier to handle :)

Many thanks - I look forward to the new web services

Cheers

Nick

(ePlanning Project Manager) Aberdeenshire Council

Hi Nick,

it sounds like you are using our java jar file to access the web services in your code.  If so, then you don't have to consume the WSDL, just download and use the new jar file that Andy mentions above.  As you rightly point out though, this new jar file will give you lists not arrays, making the future much better, but the short term a bit of a headache as you have to do some re-coding.

If you are consuming the WSDL directly (which I don't think you are) you will have exactly the same access to the new webservices as you did for the old web services - unless the technology you use to consume them has changed.

The actual responses you get back from the web services (the xml data about species and stuff) is just the same as before.

Hope that helps - cheers, Jon

Hi Jon

Many thanks for your response. Actually, I am 'consuming the WSDL directly' using PHP - delicious :cool: . However, it was fairly complicated to untangle the arrays returned, hence the reason I was wanting to check that there are no problems before the switch over in September.

Cheers

Nick

Andy

With the new infrastructure in place will it allow for the operational methodology of webservices to be changed/improved ? I am particularly thinking about the operation of the webservices dictionary where currently it only returns a positive result if the particular species name which is queried has records on the Gateway.

Much better would be for the dictionary query to return a result if teh name is in the dictionary regardless of whether the Gateway holds such species records or not.

Currently, we are finding this restriction somewhat of a problem. Recorders wish to put records in to our online recording facility (RODIS) which uses searches of the webservices dictionary to provide and match valid species names. Unfortunately some species are not showing as the name is not available due to the fact the the Gateway currently does not have records for these species - which means that the recorders can NOT get these records into rECOrd and thence can not get them into the Gateway. Somewhat of a circular problem methinks !!!!

Cheers

Steve
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi,

something that will be of use to people who are able to edit the source code of their poxy classes (rather than re-consume the wsdl).  The requests to the Gateway's main webservices (their endpoints) should go to:

Anonymous --> http://www.nbnws.net/ws/webservice
Secure --> http://www.nbnws.net/ws/secure/webservice

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse.

Cheers, Jon

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in my reply and thanks, Jon, for answering the queries. I think I may have spread a bit of confusion about arrays and lists.

The XML format for the web services response remains the same. However, we found that when we re-created the jar and dll for the gateway library, using newer versions of the tools to do this, the WSDL was interpreted differently. Some class names changed and some return types.

It's likely that if you re-compile proxy classes from the WSDL automatically using your IDE  (e.g. netbeans or visual studio) and you're using a newer version of that IDE, then you will probably find the same thing.

So, the Java and .NET tools to convert WSDLs to classes have changed in the two years or so since we last created the clients.

If you aren't using our jar or dll and if you can edit your code directly to change the address of the WSDL then you won't have to do anything else. So, for PHP, nothing should have changed.

Sorry, for my clumsy explanation earlier. Hope this one is better!

Andy

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, we can't update the dictionary service (or similar Gateway functionality) with this move to the new infrastructure.
However, we definitely recognise that it's a real problem that the service only returns results for taxa for which we have records. I have it on the requirements list, which is used to inform future rounds of development, and I hope we can get it fixed soon. I'm sorry it's such a direct problem for you and I'll keep you informed on this.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. Very good to know it is now on the development list and seen as a requirement.

I will look forward greatly to the implementation.

Thanks once again..

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi

I am probably missing something but I am still running my Taxonomy queries using PHP/SOAP with the client set as

new soapclient('http://212.219.37.104/NBNWebServices/ws/WSDL', 'wsdl')

and it is still working (i.e. haven't changed to http://www.nbnws.net/ws/WSDL).

Does this mean that I don't need to change anything after all?

Cheers

Nick

Hi,

no, we are dependent on our local computer support, and they're really busy with moving loads of other stuff over to Wallingford as well as getting ready to move the NBN.  They simply haven't done it yet, which gives us a few days grace - but no-one should depend on the old web services, they are about to be turned off.

Cheers, Jon

***The old web services have now been turned off - 19th Sept 08 10:10 am***

So try it now Nick - I'll be really confused if you get a response.

The delay in shutting them down was my fault.  We are recycling one of the servers for another job, computer support didn't have time to rebuild the machine, so I said we may as well keep it running a few more days - it might have been useful.

Cheers, Jon

Hi

I have changed the SOAP client - working fine

Many thanks guys

Nick