Re: Relocating R6 to a new drive

Hi

I am a volunteer bird recorder and know that in a few years (exact number as yet unknown) I will be passing  on the role to another person. Currently R6 and the Recorder data are held on my personal desktop computer. When I retire as bird recorder I will want to pass on R6 (or whatever version is then current) to the next bird recorder. To make this easier I was wondering if it was feasible and sensible to install R6 on an external hard drive that could easily be passed on to the next person.

I am in no rush for this, but as I understand the way R6 is now, it seems to depend on drive C: being its location as both a program and for data (though there are some options available in Options).

Would it be possible to install the current R6 to run and store data on an external hard drive?
If it is, could the program and files just be copied to the other drive, or would R6 have to be reinstalled starting from afresh?
Does the current version have a CD to enable a one-time installation?
Does it allow for choice of drive to install to?

The small bird group that I record for does not have sufficient funds to buy updated computers every few years, hence the idea of needing to buy just an external drive.

If the answers to the above question are all 'No' does anyone know of a source of funds to buy a nearly future-proof computer for the bird group?

I look forward to hearing from you,

All the best, Ian