Topic: Indicia for formal survey recording (small project)

Hello!

Just looking to pick the brains of the general community. I have recently started a new post which will involve survey of local sites. I really like iRecord and would like our new data collection to feed through it as a system. My previous post was with a LERC where i had some experience of using Indicia to design datasets and front end forms.

I guess my question is can anyone suggest the best approach, what do others do?

iRecord is great but the standard record entry forms don't capture all the information we need, we could enter species data here and capture other data elsewhere but that will duplicate effort and split information.

Activities might be a solution but there's no way to tailor entry forms.

Indicia would be ideal but as an individual i doubt the BRC would host (it's me and whoever else i can convince to use it) and setting up a warehouse myself would be excessive!

I feel there should be an Indicia 'lite' or some additional iRecord customisation but i appreciate how messy that could get architecturally...

Suggestions welcome!

p.s. will also post this in iRecord forum but following replies on both so no need to 'double reply'!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Indicia for formal survey recording (small project)

Hi Ben, What kind of data are you capturing? I've been meaning to create an SBI survey form for our Ecologists for a few years. We could co-create a form and host it on our website and give you access to download data via the reports page. We wouldn't use the data as it would all be outside of GM I suspect.

Hi Paul,

I'll have a chat with the team and email you direct if that's ok? Likely to be quite similar to GMEU, similar needs after all!

I imagined similar to general recording, which would need to include sex/stage/status then additional information regarding condition and perhaps association with defined priority habitats and/or selection guidelines that the site qualifies (and of course metadata on the site being surveyed; e.g. site identifier).

Will email direct with a little more detail but this is somewhat conceptual at the moment, i figured the platform might dictate things to some extent!

Hi there,

Sorry to hop on this post but I've been searching about trying to find an answer to help a small local recording group with a question they sent to us.  It seems similar to Ben's initial query but as my only experience of Indicia is as a user of iRecord and other things created by others I wanted to check my understanding!

The group in question has created an activity and organisation in iRecord and was wanting to create a bespoke recording form.  I believe, and I think this is backed up by what Ben said in his post, that there isn't a way to create bespoke forms within iRecord so to speak.  To do this would I be right to say that they'd need to use Indicia?  Would they then be able to use this within iRecord or would they need their own environment / warehouse, etc.?  As you can tell, this is not an area we have any experience in or knowledge of, but would like to give the group an idea of what is / isn't possible in non-technical language - and links to further information and detail as it's way outside my expertise.

Thanks for any help!
Lindsay

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer

Hi Lindsay,

Despite not being able to answer my own query i may be able to help you with yours..

See below for my rambling but for official information the GitHub project is the first point of call: https://github.com/Indicia-Team

Followed by the 'docs' which have improved but can still be a bit of a challenge to follow: https://indicia-docs.readthedocs.io/en/ … ation.html

The group in question has created an activity and organisation in iRecord and was wanting to create a bespoke recording form.  I believe, and I think this is backed up by what Ben said in his post, that there isn't a way to create bespoke forms within iRecord so to speak.  ---  Indeed my understanding is still that you have very limited ability to tailor recording forms. You *can* however select from a small selection of pre-made forms from some of the schemes so it's perhaps worth checking first to see if any of them fit the bill. What you can't do currently is define your own attributes/recording fields.

To do this would I be right to say that they'd need to use Indicia?  --- In principle yes, Indicia is incredibly flexible. You can define your own fields to record against (or select from an extensive list of pre-defined options from other projects) and then define your own selection lists. In addition to a whole host of other customisation controls and options.

Would they then be able to use this within iRecord or would they need their own environment / warehouse, etc.?  --- You have two components to any Indicia based recording website; the warehouse - a PostgreSQL database which holds the data and where it is administrated (Indicia) and the website itself where the user interacts with the data (e.g. iRecord).

You might (see below) be able to use the BRC warehouse but you would also need a recording website which you would need to host somewhere or add to an existing website. If you have a Drupal website then you would install the Indica module which would add the capability to interact with the warehouse (add or query data).

To use the BRC warehouse they would need to set up your recording project and give you a project login. They have hosted national schemes and LERCs as well as more targeted recording projects but i don't know what their actual criteria are when it comes to smaller groups and projects.

A hosted project can have 'agreements' around data flow for verification and feeding into iRecord. If you look at the 'All Explore' iRecord page and click on a number in the 'src' column you should be able to see that many of the records have come outside of iRecord itself. As a LERC you should also be able to see the range of schemes and projects hosted on the warehouse as they appear as download options.

So you couldn't add records using the iRecord interface for your own project but you could view them there and allow them to be included in verification and data flow.

The alternative, to host your own warehouse is also a possibility. However, it is no small commitment to get it set up (i've been doing this myself recently) then there is the issue of web hosting. I haven't yet found a cost-viable PostgreSQL (the warehouse) host for a small project/pet project.

If you set up your own warehouse then it wouldn't be automatically linked to iRecord. In the past BRC staff have mentioned that this should be possible to automate to some extent as the systems would be very similar. But i don't know if it has ever be done and would no doubt require some development commitment.

Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that so clearly in a way even I could follow :D.  I really appreciate it and will pass the information on to the group.

The group don't have a website at the moment so that's definitely quite a constraint, beyond figuring out Indicia and warehouse/hosted warehouse.

Thank you again so much for the de-mystification!

Lindsay

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer