Topic: Report on changes made to database within dates

Hello there, I am trying to report on the work I have been doing the last 6 months. This has involved editing and changing a lot of records, sometimes with duplicate batch updates and sometimes manually one at a time changing Record Types. With the changes report available in Recorder 6 it seems not to count a new determination (Duplicate) as a change! is this correct? and if so is there a way of getting every edit to a record out in a report?
Any help appreciated.
Mhairi
Fife Nature Records Centre

Re: Report on changes made to database within dates

Hi Mhairi

I'm not familiar with a report that shows changes. Which report are you using - I'll take a look and see if it can be easily altered to include new determinations.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Sorry Andy,
I am running a batch update just now that takes 5-6 hours. I cant get in to see the changes report name. Its a system supplied report and shows all the records added to the database as well as most of the edits. I shall get back to you on Tuesday next week (when I am next at work) with the exact name/number of the report.
Mhairi

Hello Andy,
The report is within the Report Wizard once you have chosen the layout you can click on "additional filters" and one of the filters is "Obs Changed Date" which can have "is between" dates added. I don't know where the bones of this kind of report are buried in the system but it doesn't seem to return the correct data or maybe I am not using it correctly. Any help appreciated.
Kind regards,
Mhairi

Manually added determinations should trigger an update to the change date of the observation, but it's possible your batch update doesn't do this?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi Mhairi

As Charlie said, adding a new determination manually will always update the change date for the observation so these should get picked up by the additional filter. But, unless the batch update you are using is specifically coded to update the change date for the observation, then it won't get updated so the additional filter will miss these. If it's important to report  the updates then let me know what batch update you are using and I might be able to add a step to ensure the change date is updated.

I'm not sure if/how additional filters in reports can be changed (to include a filter for the taxon determination added/changed date) but that might be another option - if anyone else knows please post a reply.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

AndyFoy wrote:

I'm not sure if/how additional filters in reports can be changed (to include a filter for the taxon determination added/changed date) but that might be another option - if anyone else knows please post a reply.

Relatively easy - stored in the USABLE_FIELD table.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks Charlie.

Sadly, Mhairi, it doesn't look straightforward to add a filter for the taxon determination changed date. For the taxon occurrence changed date there is a special SQL View behind the scenes to make it work and I don't think it's appropriate to create an equivalent View for the determination without Mike W's input first.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

Thank you for trying folks, I figured it would be the batch update that was causing the problem. Anyway, onward and upward. :)