Topic: Incorrect Survey event/Sample hierarchy Structure

Hi,

I have some survey data from a site that contains observations over a large area (c.1.5km).

All the observations come from a single survey event and I want the data to be imported into R6 as one Survey Event so all the species are linked.

However, I have tested this and R6 automatically creates multiple Survey Events due to the observation Grid References covering a large area (it looks like R6 defines a Survey Event based on Grid Reference and not just by a site).

Is it possible to force R6 to import the data with the Survey Event structure that I want (eg Date, Location, Observer), as opposed to R6 creating a Survey event for every single unique Grid Reference?

Josh

Josh Baum
ERCCIS
Environmental Record Centre for Cornwall & Isles of Scilly

Re: Incorrect Survey event/Sample hierarchy Structure

Hi Josh,

Paul here from Greater Manchester.

I don't think it's possible to do what you ask. The import wizard 'explodes' your records into the way it wants to store them.

We organise the data using 'survey tags' and 'surveys' as you can name these whatever you like. Further downstream from the survey container is controlled by Recorder6 and the tables in NBNData. You are correct i.e. each grid reference becomes its own branch within the survey structure. There is no option to group the records differently as far as I'm aware, I'd love to be incorrect though.

Thanks Paul

It is unfortunate if true, but using survey tags sounds like a possible workaround, I'll look into it.

Josh

Josh Baum
ERCCIS
Environmental Record Centre for Cornwall & Isles of Scilly

If there's too many to move manually, then a batch update could reorganise the structure using the filter file produced at the end if the import. Like Paul, I'm not too fussed about the structure of imports (apart from my own fastidiousness) as we use surveys and survey tags very liberally.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership