Topic: Import Wizard Error

Hello, I recently moved the location of our R6 database, and also updated the programme files and dictionaries - perhaps a mistake to trying to do too much at once. All appeared to be working fine until we tried importing data using the import wizard, at which point the application throws an error at the point where the 'X' is on Checking for duplicates:

exception number  : 1
exception class   : EOleException
exception message : ODBC--call failed.

Full error file attached.

I can manually enter events/samples/observations, and during the Import Wizard new e.g. observers can be created ok, so there seems to be no problem writing to the database, at least in some circumstances.

I've tried different data, machines, recorder log-in, data formats, simple 1 row csv data file all with the same result.

If anyone has any suggestions before I start reverting to backups again, I'd be very grateful - already been down that road a couple of times during this process so would like to avoid another round if I can! Thanks.

Details of upgrade:
Dictionary upgraded from 48 to 4K
Programme upgraded from 6.28 to 6.30
Dictionary upgraded from 4k to 50
Moved from SLQServerExpress v12>14
orphaned NBNUser account fixed

Steps also repeated with the DB in the new location after restoring programme files/database from backup.

All the numbers matched up for the various dictionary versions when the checking report was run.

Re: Import Wizard Error

Hi

I think this needs investigating before you do anything as drastic as retsoring the database.  Version 6:30 has been in use for some  time now running under SQL Server 2014 and above and this doesn't appear to be a general problem.    Please can you provide the error file and also the 1 row csv file you are using. You can send both to me directly at mike@lfield.co,uk   I will take a look asap.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike, will send that on now.

I wonder if this problem is the same that some MapInfo users may have experienced when opening Access database tables in MapInfo. In that case the problem is that MapInfo is using 32bit ODBC drivers to connect to Access but the version of MS Office installed on the computer is 64bit (hence the 32bit drivers don’t exist on the computer).

It is possible to install both 32bit and 64bit divers on the same computer, but it requires a small work around to avoid getting for following error:

You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 because you currently have 64-bit products installed. If you want to install 32-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010, you will first need to remove the 64-bit installation of Office products. After uninstalling the following product(s), rerun setup in order to install 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010

Details of the workaround are in:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum … icegeneral

And also in (it refers to installing 64bit along side existing 32bit drivers but it works either way):

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ … ffice.html

I don't remember needing to do anything with the registry using regedit, just adding the argument " /quite" when running the driver install in the command prompt worked for me.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi Andy, thanks for this. Unfortunately so far it has not solved my problem. I was able to install the 32-bit access database engine ok, but afterwards I still get the same crash when trying to import data with the Import Wizard. I tried both 2016 and 2010 versions, don't know if that would make any difference? (in this test env the R6 db is on MSSS Express 2017) Or whether any further config required post install?

Currently our live R6 db is trapped on a old server long overdue retirement, but I've not been able to move it to any other location without getting this crash with the import wizard, which is a deal breaker.

That's a shame but hopefully worth a try.

The only other idea I have is to install SQL Server Developer Edition in the test environment (it's free for non-production environments) to see if that makes any difference. Then you might know whether it's SQL Server Express that's causing the problem.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Finally 'solved' this issue with a fresh installation of the R6 network files and then transferring our database to the new SQL Server Express instance (2017).

Hi

Thank goodness for that. I have been having sleepless nights over this as I couldn't duplicate the problem or find any explanation. I bought a new PC in the hope that by starting with a clean machine, I could duplicate the problem if it was caused buy missing drivers. However, R6 installed and could do imports on the largest of databases. I am afraid I didn't know what to do next.

Mike Weideli

Thanks for all your efforts on this Mike. Shame not to have got to the bottom of it, but I'm very happy to have a working set up in its new location :-)