Topic: NBN Atlas records search is unavailable

Dear all,

The records search is unavailable. Helen is investigating the problem and I will let you know when the Atlas is working again.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience,

Best wishes, Sophie

Re: NBN Atlas records search is unavailable

Dear all,

Just to give you an update. The species dictionary on the NBN Atlas has been updated with the latest version of the UKSI. The species search is working but the records search is still crashing occassionally.

Helen is rebuilding the records search index now and it should be online tomorrow morning. I will give you an update in the morning.

I am sorry for the inconvenience,

Best wishes, Sophie

Dear all,

The problems with the records search have been resolved. I am very sorry for the inconvenience over the last few days.

Best wishes, Sophie

It's quite hard to see when the Atlas site is known to be only part-functional and hence whether I should raise a report in the Forum (which is itself a pain to post on because it doesn't share sign-in with the main Atlas site) on being unable to access something. Could we have a System Status page, preferably hosted on a different server*, for NBN Atlas? The ideal would be a traffic-light graphic: red, yellow and green for each component. A link to this page could be in the menu under ABOUT, perhaps.
Currently I use the appearance (or rather non-appearance) of the number of records in the BDS dataset as a clue. This is to the right at page https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr731 but I don't know whether it is really diagnostic!
Regards,
David

* e.g. the one hosting NBN Atlas News

David Hepper
Records Officer, British Dragonfly Society

Thanks David,

Helen has been looking at setting up a status page with a traffic light graffic to indicate the status of the NBN Atlas or having a message in the header of all pages, which shows automatically when the records search is not responding.

I will follow up with her now,

Best wishes, Sophie