Topic: R6 internet usage

Is there any reason why a standalone copy of R6 should be accessing the internet?
Something is slowing my laptop to a crawl so I investigated the internet data usage and found that R6 has used an astonishing 14.33Gb data through wifi in the last 30 days! That is way more than zoom, teams and outlook together, which I use all the time for work.  What on earth can it be doing, and how can I stop it?
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Re: R6 internet usage

Hi
I will need to ask John van Bredz about this. R6 doesnt need to access the internet as  far as I am aware but SQL server might.

Mike Weideli

The only thing I can think of if R6 thinks that the SQL server is not located on a server locally, but on a server on the Internet. Which I presume could only apply if you have a network version of the R6 installed.

If you have a network version of R6 installed, it could be the routing of the IP traffic is via the Internet rather the local network. In which case it is a network issue to resolve.
If a stand-alone version of R6, then strange.

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

It is definitely the standalone version and everything is located on my laptop. R6 runs when it is not connected to the internet so I don't think it can be SQL Server.
Perhaps another standalone user could check their data usage to see if the same thing is happening?

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

I've checked my version of R6 (stand-alone), and there is no internet traffic, using the Resource Monitor, and also checking on the router, there was no internet traffic.

It might be worth checking your computer for malware. Undertake a full virus scan of your computer. If you are using a cheepo AV software, it would be worth using a trial version of a good AV product such as Eset or Kapasky.

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder