Re: NBN Exchange tool for Recorder 2002

I have been exporting datasets for upload to the Gateway from Recorder 2002 using the NBN Exchange tool add in.  The datasets export but when the export file is run through NBN Validation tool I get errors with the data precision.  When I check the export file some of the grid references within the export file have a space between them e.g.  SJ5879259752 becomes SJ58792 59752 and as a result the precision is left blank, causing the error.

I have checked these records within Recorder and as far as I can see there are no spaces within the grid reference in Recorder and the records are all correctly entered.

Does anyone know if this is a bug with the NBN Exchange tool or is it likely to be a problem with my dataset that I haven't spotted?  It does not occur for all records in the dataset and has happened in one other recorder dataset that I know of, where I also could find nothing wrong with the source data.

Hi Monica,
The addin is very unlikely to put the space in so it is more likely to be in the data. I think in earlier versions of 2002 a space was allowed but I think this was tigtened up in later versions. Are you viewing the records in Access or through Recorder. If the latter it could be that the app is automatically tidying them up? I would be tempted to have a quick look in the sample table in NBNData.mdb and see if there are any spaces in the spatial reference field. Would be easy to strip these out in Access.
Steve

Thanks Steve

I have checked the original spreadsheet that the data was imported form and have found that the import wizard did allow grid references to import with a space in them.  The spaces do not display in Recorder but are present when I look at the data in access. I have removed them now and the files validate ok when exported to NBN Exchange format:)

Thanks