Topic: Dictionary Upgrades over Remote Desktop

During the Covid-19 restrictions we have been working remotely, using Windows Remote Desktop to access our workstations. For most things this works fine, but any connection to SQL Server is dropped if the Remote Desktop. This causes Recorder to crash with an unhandled exception. For general purposes this is not a problem, simply restart Recorder and away you go, but I've been struggling to get our dictionary updated, as keeping R6 going for the 4 hours or so to run 4R has not proved problematic, particularly as I can only run this on a Tuesday to avoid disrupting staff.

Part of the problem is not knowing how much - if anything - of the dictionary upgrade has been applied, so as it stands I simply have to re-run the whole thing again on my next available day and hope it completes without crashing or SQL Server timing out.

As it stands the only way I can think of to get these to run is to split it up into chunks and use SQL Server management studio to run each section. This is not ideal, but at least I can then get past this major update. I did this successfully with the previous big update (4P), but don't really want to make a habit of it.

I'm not really looking for solutions here, merely brining it to people's attention. The simplest solution is probably just to go into the office after all!

Regards,
Dave

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

Re: Dictionary Upgrades over Remote Desktop

Hi Dave

Just curious, but do you know why the SQL Server connection is dropped if the Windows RDS connection is closed/lost (you don't say which in your post)?  We also run R6 via Windows RDS and don't lose any connections if we close or lose the session.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hmm, ok. So maybe I was jumping the gun on blaming Remote Desktop. When I log into the machine following a loss of connection, if SSMS was running I see that any open query tab is *not connected. If I see this and Recorder was running I know I'll get the unhandled Exception. However maybe the two things are less directly connected, and that in fact the local netwrok is dropping out and cutting the connection....
More investigation needed.

Dave Slade
Senior IT & Records Officer,
15 Talbot Road, Talbot Green, Pontyclun, CF72 8AD
www.sewbrec.org.uk, www.sewbrecord.org.uk

You could try reconnecting in SSMS and querying what jobs are running to confirm that the dictionary update is not still running.  Or look at the SQL Server or Windows logs to see if there is anything about the connection dropping?

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk