Topic: Taxon matches - big frustration

The new version 6.30.0.291 of Recorder 6 has changed the way it seaches for name matching in Taxa from a fixed Taxon List to all Taxa - Grrrrrrrrrr!!!! It then states there are multiple matches, which then on a search comes up withe "Organism", which is NOT what I want. I then have to seach for the taxon, which at this stage I have forgotten which species it was.  After selecting preferred Checklists, I am then presented with upteen options. Hopefully I then click on the right one, to take me to the correct Checklist. It is extremely frustrating and time consuming.

What I need is that unless I state otherwise, all searches are confined to ONE checklist only. That is because 99% of all the records I import are in one checklist and one checklist only. If the name is not in that checklist, then I need to resolve the issue manually.

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

Re: Taxon matches - big frustration

Hi
This certainly isn't the intention. You should  be able to search on a specified list. It is recognised that some users wish to use just one list and this should still be fully  be supported.  I will investigate and get back yo you asap. The NHM will no longer be updating many of the lists so gradually most lists will get more and more out of date, with new taxa and changes only appearing on the Organism list. Some lists will continue to be updated (this is up to  the list providers) and R6 should be allowing search on a specified  list to be selected  so that these can be  used if the user wishes.

Mike Weideli

Hi
Is your problem with the import wizard or with just opening a list and searching on it. If it is the IW then have a look in R6 options and make sure that 'Use Preferred Taxa for Import Wizard' is not ticked.

Mike Weideli

Mike,
The problem occurs with the import wizard. In the previous version of Recorder 6, if there were several entries needing resolving it would leave the taxon window open as where it was last left. In the new version it keeps going back to the organism view, which is a fundementally different behaviour.

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder

5 (edited by Janet Simkin 22-06-2020 11:45:32)

Mike,
I have the same problem, and have to change it from Organism to Lichens each time (if I remember).
Also, having selected the taxon for the match it no longer remembers that choice so I am having to go through this process for the same taxa in each and every import. There used to be an option to save the matches but it is now greyed out.
Apart from these niggles the new version is great, but these are driving me up the wall!

PS. Wouldn't it be nice if the import wizard could show the survey to be imported to on the screen where you confirm the import? It is easy to select the wrong one but a nightmare to sort it out afterwards.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Hi
I  will  look into it and fix as priority. As I say the intention is to  continue allowing matching against specific lists. .i think the second change re Surveys  you mention is already in the next version.

Mike Weideli

Hi

It makes big difference to what happens on how the options are set. Make sure that under the Options/General Tab that 'Restrict Taxon Version To' is set to Current Checklist and that 'Use Preferred Taxa for Import Wizard' is not ticked. Open the Taxon Dictionary Browser and select the list you normally use and close the browser. R6 will remember this as the current checklist and the list will be the one shown in matching. Searching with this will match as best it can. If taxa don't match then you can go straight to the list by clicking on the Mag Glass in the Recorder Matches Column. Or if you go to the Notes column and click in this then on the Mag Glass in this column  the system will attempt to find the taxa across all dictionaries. Most of the time the information you need to choose a taxon will be there and there will be no needs to do any searches on specific lists. 

There are mutiple paths through matching and searching depending both on options and on what is in the dictionary so there may be parts of this which are not working properly. I am doing some methodical checks with various combinations of taxa and options but I think you should find changing the Options and using the Mag Glass in the two columns will at least partially help.

Mike Weideli