1 (edited by nmrs 13-01-2020 15:04:54)

Topic: Write delay writing single records to a table

I'm not entirely sure what is causing this issue but I'm posting here just in case anyone has experienced and solved similar.

Quite simply, when editing a single record e.g. changing a determination field, it can take up to 2 minutes to write that data away (with the server 'Not responding') to the table. No matter what table I'm updating it takes ages to write.

This has been an annoying but not crucial issue for a while; however, post Larger Moth Atlas I will be updating from within Recorder 6 hundreds of records and this all of a sudden becomes a serious problem. It should take a fraction of a second to write, not 2 minutes.

If I test similar single record updates from a query in SSMS there's no delay.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Re: Write delay writing single records to a table

It shouldn't take this long. Is anyone else experiencing this ?  I take it that this has been happening with versions prior to 6.30 ? At one time there was a problem with competency, but I thought this was fixed in 6.29. Try changing the competency level to 0.  You can do this through R6 Options/Setting Table.  If this helps let me know as it will mean that the 6.29 fix  hasn't worked.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike, our IT Crowd have seen the issue and are investigating various angles. R6 v6.29 worked fine on our old server but the same install when migrated to the new server started to get this issue, hence I'm not convinced it is an R6 issue but asking if anyone else has had similar.

I will, however, try the 'competency level' tip in the meantime.

Les Evans-Hill

Hi Mike, setting the competency level to 0 allows me to open, edit and save a record without any delays whatsoever. Reverting back to 3 and the delay issue returns.

Les Evans-Hill

MikeWeideli wrote:

Is anyone else experiencing this ?

We're still on 6.29.0.290 and setting competency to 3 doesn't introduce a delay. We're using Microsoft SQL Server 2014 if it helps.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Looks like SQL Server query analyser may be treating the query in different ways in different SQL versions, hence the change when you moved Server and the fact that this is not a general problem. We have seen this before in other areas of the application. For the moment I suggest you leave Competency at 0. The difficulty is finding something which works efficiently in all version of SQL Server.

Mike Weideli

Frustrating! However, I've kept the setting to '0' for the time being and I've had no problems with editing or reading for the matter. A similar delay using the Go To tool was also experienced - it would display the correct observation (for example) instantly but took up to a minute to allow access to edit it.

Many thanks once again.

Les Evans-Hill