Topic: Understanding the origins of the ring?necked parakeet in the UK

This paper is currently doing the rounds, and uses data from the NBN Atlas. I can't check as the NBN Atlas seems to be down, but I assume they included records requiring attribution - however they don't mention any sources / attribution as far as I can tell (except "the NBN Atlas") and therefore have potentially breached the licence conditions.

I'd be interested to know if any data providers are able to identify their records in the paper (some specific references are made) and whether they waived the attribution clause of the licences.

Full paper at https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.w … /jzo.12753

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Understanding the origins of the ring?necked parakeet in the UK

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for raising this. I will contact the authors now to find out the situation.

Sophie

Will be interested to hear if you get a response Sophie. 97% of the records of RN parakeet on the NBN Atlas are from the BTO(+partners) dataset, but I haven't been able to find any colleagues who were contacted for a waiver of the attribution clause.

Knowing where the records come from would explain some features of the dataset they are looking at which is rather opaque in the paper. E.g. they cut their analysis off at 2004 which is (presumably not coincidentally) when the number of records of NBNA start increasing - this is most likely because BirdTrack launched in 2004, not that there was a big change in parakeet distribution in that year.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Hi Teresa,
Yes, I spoke to one of the authors and they should be writing an erratum to list the data providers and correctly cite the NBN Atlas in the methods and on the figures. I am surprised that it's not online now. I will ask when it will be published.

There were some extenuating circumstances, which meant that the final authors didn't cite the Atlas correctly or cite the data providers at all. I will email you directly.

Thanks, Sophie