Topic: Dictionary Out Of Step

Disappointingly having upgraded from 6.28.0.287 (Db B5/Dict. 00000048) to 6.29.0.290 (Db BX/Dict. 0000004K) in preparation for a further upgrade to the licenced version, I find having run the Dic2 Statistics Report my dictionary is out of step.

My statistics are as follows:

Taxon_List (244)
Taxon (310952) should be 311368
Taxon_Version (317021) should be 317443
Taxon_List_Item (607336) should be 607848
Organism (119626)

Please advise.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Re: Dictionary Out Of Step

Hi
Unfortunately  this does suggest that something has gone wrong in  the past.

1. You can run the upgrades once the licence system in operation and see what happens . Backup first and restore if there is a problem. You may well be ok, it just depends what you are missing and if the update affects  any of them. Even if it is Ok then potentially any future update could fail.
2. Pay for a special  update as per the web  site to bring your dictionary into step. http://www.recorder6.info/page56.html

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I suspect things may be ok having just produced the Atlas of Britain & Ireland's Larger Moths without any issue; however, I'd like to get the dictionary into step going forward. I'll look at the websie details as to where.

Many thanks.

Les Evans-Hill

Hi
The database needs to come to me. Sorry, but I do need to charge £40.00 as not now receiving any funding for R6 support.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've got that, I'm just sorting out the financial approval.

Just a thought...

I maintain a vanilla copy of NBNData with just the system-supplied tables only, no records. It is maintained to the same executable and dictionary versions as my 'live' and 'development' database. Running XML Report Dic2 returns the correct number of records.

In theory I should be able to copy the mismatched tables (TAXON, TAXON_VERSION & TAXON_LIST_ITEM - all system-supplied records) from my vanilla database to my 'live' (or 'development') database and add any 'User added Taxa' (having written code to INSERT these records) and it should then bring the dictionares into step.

Your thoughts? Are other tables affected by managing user added taxa?

Les Evans-Hill

Hi

You could in theory, but there would be a lot to think about.  The tables being checked only give an indication that something is wrong. There will not only be missing entries in these tables, but  also in other dictionary tables (15).  Potentially, the difference reported can be made of missing entries less any deletions.  Also it is not going to be just missing entries, but there will also be updates to existing entries which will have not taken place.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

I've had a look at it this morning and I guessed there would be more to it and you confirm such. Still awaiting financial approval - when I get it I'll forward the database (backup) to you have look with a view to bringing back into sync.

Les Evans-Hill

Mike, I'm now in a position to send you a ZIPPED backup copy of our database which i will send via a secure FTP website. I presume you will be able to invoice Butterfly Conservation for your work?

Les Evans-Hill

Hi

If you can get it to me asap I should be able to clear it before I go on holiday later this week. No problem invoicing Butterfly Conservation. Which version of SQL Server are you using ?

Mike Weideli

Currently on SQL Server 2008 R2 - I'll get the backup database to you today.

Many thanks Mike.

Les Evans-Hill