Topic: The transaction log for database 'NBNData' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'

I upgraded the dictionaries today, but when I was rebuilding the indexes I kept on getting an error message saying that 'The transaction log for database 'NBNData' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP''.  Now I get the same error message every time I try to open Recorder - what can I do?

Error report is attached

Cheers
Ellie

Post's attachments

Error-73736253189875.txt 33.43 kb, 3 downloads since 2019-10-30 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Eleanor Knott
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

Re: The transaction log for database 'NBNData' is full due to 'LOG_BACKUP'

Hi

What access do you have to the database ?  Do you have Management Studio ?

Mike Weideli

We don't have it at the moment, though we could ask IT to install it (hopefully)

Ellie

Eleanor Knott

I haven't seen this before and I am  investigating, but I think it will need some back end intervention, so I suggest you get IT to install Management Studio.  Were you upgrading using the new dictionary upgrade ?  If so did you try the Index rebuilds from with the application or afterwards ?

Mike Weideli

I was installing dictionaries 00000041-45 & 00000046-48 as I realised that I hadn't installed them.  The dictionary upgrades seemed to be sucessful, so I opened Recorder & went to Rebuild Index from the Tools menu.  The first one seemed to be fine, but I got an error message saying that the transaction log was full when I tried to do the second one.  I closed Recorder & re-opened it, did the second index, then tried to do the third. This time I got the same error message part way through - I clicked continue application but it just stopped.  I closed it & tried to re-open it, but now I just get error messages.

I'll ask IT about Management Studio

Ellie

Eleanor Knott

Hi

Thanks. That is helpful. I thought it might be due to the new process, but obviously not. I am trying to find the easiest way to fix.  Did you take a backup, before the dictionary update.

Mike Weideli

Unfortunately not, no

Eleanor Knott

Hi

I can't at the moment see anyway out of this without having the tools, but will continue to look.  On the surface of it  looks like your SQL Recovery model is not set to 'Simple' or no backups have been run for a while. It is the backups which clear the log file.

Mike Weideli

Our IT Officers says that the transaction logs had been restricted to 5GB (as we had been having storage issues) & that limit has been reached. He's going to take a backup of the logs then will change the settings to see if that helps.

Fingers crossed!
Ellie

Eleanor Knott

The dictionary is growing so more space is probably required to build the index.

Mike Weideli

It's now working OK - the settings have been changed so that they transaction log will be truncated automatically when it is backed up every night

Thank you for your help
Ellie

Eleanor Knott

Hi,

Just jumping into this topic as we're having exactly the same problem, although we're trying to remove a (large) survey rather than rebuilding indexes.

I see from the thread that we need to get our IT people to make more space for the transaction logs. Is there anything more specific that I need to tell them? Supporting Recorder is only a tiny part of their work so it's not software that they're very familiar with.

Thanks

Anne

Anne Donnelly
ERIC North East Officer
Email: anne.donnelly@twmuseums.org.uk
www.ericnortheast.org.uk

Hi

There does need to be enough physical space for the log file and it does need to be allowed to grow. Normally in a SQl Server set up the Log File will be set to autogrowth with maxsize set to unlimited, but if there isn't enough physical space then this will not help. The second thing is that providing the recovery model is set to simple (which it will in a standard install)  then running a backup will truncate  the logfile.  If you can run the R6 database backup before making large changes (eg a dictionary upgrade, or bulk delete) this will clear the logfile leaving as much space as possible for the process.

My feeling will be that IT departments will not normally have changed the recovery model from 'simple'. They may have modified the autogrowth options, and they may also  be  limiting the physical space available. If so a backup will make best use of the space available, but there may still not be enough in some situations, In  which case the growth options will need changing and if required more the physical space made available. 

The SQL at https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=7478   will reset the recovery model to simple if it has been changed  and clear the logfile.  The log file growth options can be found and changed in Management Studio by right clicking on the database (NBNData) choosing properties, then files. The current log file properties can be seen and changed here.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the quick response and for explaining it so clearly.

There should be enough info for there for our IT people to sort it.

Anne

Anne Donnelly
ERIC North East Officer
Email: anne.donnelly@twmuseums.org.uk
www.ericnortheast.org.uk