Topic: Unable to start Recorder 6 from other PCs - Network installation

Hi,

I have recently installed Recorder 6 (network version) on the server after this had to be fitted with a new HDD. I followed the network installation instruction and I was also able to restore the backup successfully. I can open and work on Recorder 6 from the server normally.

I shared the recorder 6 folders on my server as network drives with the other computers in my network (R: = Recorder 6, S: = Recorder 6 Server), the other pcs can see the drives and I could run the workstation setup on the other PCs.

However, if I try to start recorder 6 from the other PCs I receive this error message: an error occured whilst starting the application. EOIeException: Login failed. the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.

SQL Server Management 2014 is installed on the server, the server and all computer belong to the same network (and can share folders, etc).  I am not sure how to authorise the other computers to access Recorder 6.

Thank you.

Re: Unable to start Recorder 6 from other PCs - Network installation

I haven't seen this before. It seems more like an SQL rather than an R6 issue. Can you try setting up an ODBC link from one of the workstations to the Sql instance. You should be able to  do this through control panel of by searching help for ODBC.  Trying this msy produce a more meaningful  error message. Also has the user if the Workstation been set up as users on the Sql server instance.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I have tried to set an ODBC links from a workstation.
If I try to set the link with Windows ID authorisation I get the same error message I get with recorder6 (the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication).
If I set SQL authorisation (with the default SQL login "sa") the link is successfully tested but the situation with recorder6 does not change - same message as before.

With regards to SQL sever I do not seem to be able to add/find network PCs (only local users) in security>new logins (see attachment).

I have allowed all PCs to accept remote connection from other pcs in the network.
I have set the right port in allIP (1433) and enabled TCP/IP for both server and the other PCs.
Is this the reason why I cannot access recorder6 from other PCs?

Post's attachments

server.jpg 325.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi

R6 may not be working for sa because of the registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/WOW6432NODE/DORSET SOFTWARE/RECORDER6. Trusted security is probably set to true here so sa will not not. However this doesn't really resolve your problem.     

I will try and find someone else to help as  I don't have access to Server installation to check this out.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

All sorted now, I reinstalled R6 and changed a few settings (only SQL authentication) and had help from another record centre. Thank you anyway.

The only thing that I cannot figure out is that, after restoring the database I am missing all the options we had in Report Wizard> Layout selection> Obtain layout from report file. I can only see 2 standard layouts but we had much more.

Do you know where to find the relevant files? I have the old pc harddrive which has all the old data on it and a backup drive for Recorder 6.

Post's attachments

verification.jpg 102.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi

Good news. I was getting a bit concerned about this. The Report Wizard templates are not in the database, but in the R6 user File folder.  I think under Reports.   They are just text files and you should be able to copy them into the same folder. Other files such as input forms, rucksacks etc, will in User Files as well if you use them.

Mike Weideli