Topic: Recorder 6.29 is now available as a Release Candidate.

Recorder 6.29 is now available as a Release Candidate.

See http://www.recorder6.info/page26.html

This is a Release Candidate Version which we believe to be suitable for use on a live system, but could possibly have some undetected bugs. Should the need arise an additional upgrade will be provided to resolve any issues and we would aim to respond immediately should any serious problems arise. You should only install this version if you are a position to run an immediate additional upgrade, should this be necessary. As with any upgrade you should make sure that you have a backup of your database, system files and user files.  Refer to instruction on the web page and read the release notes (included in the download) before proceeding. My contact details are in the release notes if you have any questions or any problems.

Mike Weideli

Re: Recorder 6.29 is now available as a Release Candidate.

I've just upgraded to 6.29 - the options dialog is causing Recorder 6 to hang when I click OK (no changes made, just open it and then click OK).

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi

I can't at the moment duplicate this on my test database or on a live database upgraded to v6.29.  Can you confirm that the version of R6 you have loaded is 6,29.0.290 with the database you are up to is 000000BX . The change made was to the update of the settings table. Can you possibly supply a copy of your settings table. If I can't see anything there, I will change the code to see where it is getting to when it hangs.

Mike Weideli

Yes, 6.29.0.290 and database BX. Attached a copy of the setting table.

Post's attachments

tmp9B72.xlsx 11.18 kb, 2 downloads since 2019-07-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Thanks. At a first glance I can't see anything which would cause a problem.  I will do some more work on it and get back to you.

Mike Weideli

6 (edited by charliebarnes 16-08-2019 16:20:14)

This query is happening when it hangs:

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_Setting_Temp_Survey]

AS
    DECLARE @TempLicenceKey varchar(16)

UPDATE SURVEY SET Temporary_Survey = 1 WHERE
    EXISTS (SELECT * FROM SAMPLE S INNER JOIN SURVEY_EVENT SE ON
    SE.SURVEY_EVENT_KEY = S.SURVEY_EVENT_KEY INNER JOIN SURVEY SV 
    ON SV.SURVEY_KEY = SE.SURVEY_KEY WHERE ISNULL(S.RECORDERS,'') <> ''
    AND SV.SURVEY_KEY = SURVEY.SURVEY_KEY) 

SELECT @TempLicenceKey = DATA FROM SETTING WHERE[NAME] = 'TempLic'
    UPDATE SURVEY SET LICENCE_KEY = @TempLicenceKey 
    WHERE  Temporary_Survey = 1

It takes some time to complete, hence the apparent hang.

The latter half, setting the survey licence key to TempLic seems destructive - and certainly not what I would want/expect. Just because data imported is temporary, doesn't mean that there are "no rights to distribute"? It would seem sensible for export restrictions (which I assume is what this 'licence' refers to?) to be handled separately e.g. a check box on the survey.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Thanks.  I will see what can be done to get around this problem. This code is there, because you can change some aspects of the processing of temporary data in  options.  The first part of the check makes sure that Surveys having unparsed Recorders have the temporary  indicator set to true.  Not having this will cause problems in R6 so this check is in various key places. The concept behind  temporary data is that it is held only for use in the system for reporting purposes and that it should never be distributed as data. It seems strange to me to have a Survey defined as Temporary and yet have  licence to distribute data,.   In what circumstances would you think temporary data could be distributed ?

Mike Weideli

MikeWeideli wrote:

In what circumstances would you think temporary data could be distributed ?

But the licence field refers to the licence under which the data is held, not whether it can be distributed [according to Recorder 6 recommendations]?

Some practical examples:
- we use the licence type to determine if it's okay (we have the rights) to use data in reports
- we use the licence type to properly attribute data when it's used in reports

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Understood. There is an issue over data being input to a temporary survey with unparsed names, then the temporary indicator being changed leaving unparsed data on surveys which do not have the indicator set. This causes R6 not to report data correctly and can cause unhandled errors. In trying to deal with it didn't seem sensible to leave these Surveys with licences which allow distribution.  I see that you are using licences in a  much more complex way and that this approach will cause you problems.  I think you have access to Management Studio so as a temporary  measure I suggest that you just alter the procedure to avoid it making the change again. A code change is required to allow you to set up new temporary Surveys with anything other than the 'No rights' licence. I will try to get this done asap, but if it gives you problems I will supply a temporary upgrade. 

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[usp_Setting_Temp_Survey]

AS

UPDATE SURVEY SET Temporary_Survey = 1 WHERE
    EXISTS (SELECT * FROM SAMPLE S INNER JOIN SURVEY_EVENT SE ON
    SE.SURVEY_EVENT_KEY = S.SURVEY_EVENT_KEY INNER JOIN SURVEY SV
    ON SV.SURVEY_KEY = SE.SURVEY_KEY WHERE ISNULL(S.RECORDERS,'') <> ''
    AND SV.SURVEY_KEY = SURVEY.SURVEY_KEY)

Mike Weideli

We use licenses for surveys in the same way as Charlie describes above and would wish to assign license other than 'No rights....' to surveys containing temporary data. Should we adopt the measure as above (altering the procedure) or have you since come to some other solution? Would this cause any issues when we next update R6?

Thanks

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi

It will be perfectly Ok to make the change.  It will be there for everyone in 6.30 which is nearly ready to go. Implementing the change immediately will not affect the 6.30 upgrade.

Mike Weideli

Thanks for the quick reply Mike

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi,

I saw on http://www.recorder6.info/page26.html that upgrade 6.30.0 will be available shortly (Nov 2019).  I was just wondering if you knew roughly when this might be?  We are currently on 6.28 and as we have to get IT involved to upgrade, which can be time consuming and take a while to be implemented, if we can just ask them to run the 6.30 update in the near future rather than also run the 6.29, that would be useful.  However, if it still might be a few weeks until 6.30 is available, it might be worth asking them to run 6.29 in the interim?

Thanks for any info,
Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer

Hi

I suggest that you do wait. V6:30 is nearly there, but is waiting for final clearance  from John van Breda,

Mike Weideli

A-ha!  Thanks very much Mike :)

Linds

Lindsay Bamforth
Fife Nature Records Centre,
Information Officer