Topic: Can't Delete Survey

I think I've know about this for a while but I really could do with a solution.

I surveys with no events, samples, occurrences, locations or documents associated with them. However they cannot be deleted as the Run By is mandatory and associates a person. I can't delete the person as it is associated with the survey.

So it seems a Survey can never be deleted?

Any thoughts?

Data Manger
Somerset Environmental Records Centre

Re: Can't Delete Survey

I have no problems deleting surveys (run by is no different from e.g. the determiner of a determination)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

It won't be run by.  It has to be something which has the Survey Key in the table. Is there anything in User Survey Restrictions ?  Otherwise sounds like something is out of step somewhere. If you use  the Delete Survey Batch Update (Del 5)  does it give any error message ?

Mike Weideli

I created a new person yesterday and made them the run by. I cannot delete the survey or the person getting the usual;

Unable to delete this item as it is referenced by other records in the database

I'm not sure what other data could be referenced by/to a survey but there is none that can be seen by the GUI it seems. I've also tried other apparently empty surveys and get the same result.

Data Manger

Did you restrict access for the person to some surveys ?  If so this will stop you deleting the person or the survey. If so just give the person access to all surveys. You should then be able to delete the survey and the individual.

Mike Weideli

Ah, yes it looks like a problem. I can't delete users for the same reason.

2 user had survey restrictions. Neither are associated with any survey otherwise. I gave them access to all surveys and deleted them [I had tried that before] and then I was able to delete the Survey.

Thank you guys. That is nuts.

Data Manger