Topic: Import wizard

When importing spreadsheet data via the Wizard is it possible to populate the Administrative Areas tab in Geo Info for the location when a new location is created? If not could the Import wizard code be modified to do that?

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

Re: Import wizard

Hi

It depends a bit on what you are expecting.  Are you thinking that the Admin Area would be automatically populated based on the location spatial ref, or were you thinking of providing the Admin Area  in the import file ?  If your location is already an Admin area then it can be imported now.

Mike Weideli

Basically, if I have a spreadsheet of records to import via the Wizard, with locations and an Admin Area (or VC number) included in the import file, when I get to the matching stage with locations and I have to create a new location, I want the newly-created location to include the VC in the Geo Info tab. The reason for this is that I need to produce a county checklist with separate VC columns (using the report that you did for me some years ago which relies on the location having a VC field populated in the Geo Info tab).
Vice-county number appears in the Column type selection list but when VC is included in the import file and a new location created at the matching stage, Admin Area in the Locations/Geo Info tab remains empty.

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC

Thanks.  Understood. If we include a new field say  Location Vice County and make this a new Import Wizard columns  then when a new Location is created it would add this as the VC. Would the VC number be Ok or would the name or both be better ? . I will investigate to see if it can be done just with database entries (ie without a  change to core R6). If it can I will give it  go.

Mike Weideli

The VC number would be fine, so when I run the VC report records for the new location would be picked up....

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC

HI Mike - any further thoughts on this? Would it be built in to the next R6 update?

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC

Hi

I have looking at this and it can't be done with changes to the database tables.  This means it will need an R6 update and I think it will a fairly complicated change, because there is nothing like it being done at the moment. I will not know exactly what is involved  until I have been through the code and established where changes are required. It is something I will be interested in  doing, but I can't give any promises on time scales.

Mike Weideli

OK Thanks Mike.....
Bob

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC

Hi

I have manged to do this without the need to change core R6. It seems to work and I have tested all the most likely combinations.  If you can run the attached SQL this will set a a Location VC column which will take a VC number . It will need a Location column as well. The Location can already exist or be created new. If the Location exists it wil get the VC allocated unless it already has this VC.

Post's attachments

000000C4a.sql 5.06 kb, 6 downloads since 2019-11-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

All seems to be working fine with this Mike - thanks for your help....

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC