Topic: Commercial downloads

My recording scheme has CC-BY-NC rights yet there are a number of downloads indicated as "Commercial|Download is for the purposes of fulfilling a commercial contract".
How is this happening and who is doing the downloading?

Re: Commercial downloads

The download statistics provide very little information, therefore it is impossible to tell whether the commercial download has been authorised.
This system relies on the integrity of the data user and if they chose to ignore the license conditions there are probably no practical sanctions.

Darwyn,
I can give you a report of all downloads from your datasets with the email address and their reason. Which recording scheme are you referring to? Let me know and I will send you the report.

I can do this for any data provider who would like the report. Editors should be able to download the report from the admin page of their data provider page - but there is an authentication problem at the moment, which I have asked Reuben to resolve.

Best wishes, Sophie

There's nothing (as far as I am aware?) that stops CC-BY-NC records from being downloaded when the use is set to commercial. It's up to the user after the download to filter out the CC-BY-NC records.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Charlie,
That is correct, we don't stop people from downloading NC records when the use is commercial.

Jo and I are looking at the options on the download page to stop or encourage people not to download NC records when the use is commercial - perhaps a big button that says remove CC-BY-NC records. We could filter out the NC records automatically when the use is commercial but that might simply mean that people to select another use.

Best wishes, Sophie