Re: Multiple Spatial References Datasets

Hi all,

A quick question if I may...

I believe the answer is yes and I've yet to try it out, but...

Can you mix different spatial references within the same database? If so, is it just a case of ensuring the Spatial Reference options are set correctly before you import these data?

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Hi Les

Yes, you can mix spatial reference systems in one Recorder database. The import code will make a guess as to the spatial reference system of the imported data, but it will be more successful and reliable if you select the correct spatial reference system in the Options window before each import.

Are all the spatial reference systems you need to support covered by the 4 built in ones? They are Ordnance Survey grid (GB or Ireland), UTM or Latitude/Longitude. It is possible to support additional ones via the use of addins so let me know if not.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John,

Thanks for coming back to me - I thought this was the case and yes, I believe the  4 built-in jobbies cover my requirements most satisfactorily.

By the way (and a bit off-topic), importing on average 200,000+ records a day with little or no problems.

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill

Hi Les

Glad to hear the imports are going well!

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John et al,

Reading R6 Help, it is suggested there is an Add-In which allows inputting of Military-style UTM grid refs. Could someone at JNCC forward a copy to me? This is one I will need in due course for the Channel Islands - incidently, does anyone know where I can get an ESRI SHP files of the Irish Vice-counties and the Channel Islands as well (preferably gratis)??

Best wishes,
Les.

Les Evans-Hill

Hi Les,

There are a couple of addins in existance which may be of interest. The first is a specific Jersey Transverse Mercator addin, written for the States of Jersey. I will check with them with regards to making the addin available. Also, there is a customisable addin which allows you to create multiple additional spatial references systems, written for use in Germany. With the correct configuration this would be able to support JTM.

I will let you know about the availability of the first addin,

Kind Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John, appreciated.

Les.

Les Evans-Hill