Topic: Install R6 on laptop

I want to install R6 on a second laptop. I am running R6.28 Dictionary 48 on laptop number 1. I've installed SQLExpress 2014 with tools on my second laptop. This machine is running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. The SQL installation went smoothly with the Complete message at the end of the process. I've now got to the stage of installing R6. I have a disk containing version 6.15.4 dated August 2010. I have tried to install this as per the instructions on the R6 website. All apparently goes smoothly until nearly at the end when I get a message that reads "Setup.exe - Ordinal not found......The ordinal 1 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\SQLUNIRL.dll...." The only choice I had was to click on OK. The installation although the progress bars looked complete seemed to hang. I waited 20 minutes and nothing happened. I then cancelled the install. Should I be installing a later standalone version onto SQLExpress 2014? If so which one and can I download the necessary files or do I need a DVD? Please advise if possible. Thanks....

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

Re: Install R6 on laptop

Check out the R6 consortium website http://www.recorder6.info/page16.html, it contains links to download various later versions (plus lots of other useful information).

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Thanks Andy - I downloaded the 6.26 Standalone files after installing SQLExpress 2014 with Tools. All installed OK with no hitches, and I've upgraded the installation to 6.28 and Dictionary 48. R6 opens fine (with an empty database). All I have to do now is move my database into the new installation. Can this only be done by restoring using Management Studio? Why can't I move a copy of the .bak file into the Backup Location in the new installation and then use Tools>database Tools>Restore database in Recorder?

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC

I succeeded in moving my database into the new install of Recorder6 on laptop using Management Studio. Recorder continued to open and close successfully until I tried to use the mapping. It didn't work and I shut Recorder down. When I tried to open Recorder again I received an unhandled error window and the bottom line reads "The Object Sheet File Path setting is missing or incorrect. Recorder is not installed properly and cannot start". So tried to find where the Object Sheet had been installed. The Registry entry for the Object Sheet file path reads C:\Recorder 6\Object Sheet\    and this is the path shown in Map > Map Options > Admin.   In the R6 install on the laptop the Object Sheet is actually in C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Recorder 6, along with the Errors, Map Files and User Files folders. Presumably I need to edit the Registry Entries. The bulk of the Recorder 6 files have been installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Recorder 6 (I don’t know why). Why haven’t Object Sheet, Errors, Map Files and User Files been installed in the same place? Should I uninstall Recorder and start again, or doesn’t it matter where the Object Sheet etc have been installed, and just edit the Registry entries? (The laptop is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit)

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC