Re: Recorder 2002 to Recorder 6 transfer errors

Hi Ian

The next upgrade to V6.9.3 is imminent, but, unfortunately Dorset Software now estimate that we won't receive the release here until mid November (due to the amount of bugs reported at the last minute and annual leave):(.

I emailed them yesterday to ask for a more accurate date of release (in view to updating the forum) and I plan to post any further information I receive on the announcements page.

The next upgrade (V6.9.3) will also include i) a species dictionary update, and ii) the ability for JNCC to provide species dictionary updates without having to develop a new version. We therefore anticipate providing more regular updates to the species dictionary for users in future - approximately once a month. The good news is that the species dictionary update provided as part of V6.9.3 will include an up to date BOU checklist.

From the development plan you will see that we do intend to improve a lot of the supporting areas around Recorder, including the Help, Getting Started Guide, installation guides, and are looking into providing further tutorials for users (all of this is a lot work but we will get there in the end :) ). As far as I am aware there isn't an equivalent user guide for Recorder 6, although some users (such as local records centres) have developed their own. Can you let me know where you found the Recorder 2002 user guide just so I'm clear on which document you mean? If there is a general need for an equivalent guide for Recorder 6 I can look into producing something similar in the future.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi Sarah

As I recall it, the R2002 user guide was my print out of the pages in the 'Getting started' installation that was on the CD. It was not comprehensive, by any means, but it was a start.

Cheers, Ian

Hello Ian

I hope you have sorted out your date problem. If not and you have any dates in the format dd.mm.yyyy then I would try changing them to the format dd/mm/yyyy and try again (ie replace all "." with "/").

Best wishes

Graham

Hi

I can now import data into R6! The problem that caused the strange date error is that R6 cannot cope with my standard Windows setting of using a fullstop as a date separator. When I changed the date separator to slash, the import worked perfectly.

I am surprised that this problem has reared its head again. Four or five years ago, I was unable to install R2000 because of a funny error to do with an impossible date. Eventually, Steve McWilliam informed me that the installation could not work properly unless the date separator was set to slash. Sadly, the program has never been updated to recognise all Windows date separator options. Oh well, at least I know what to do now!

I am waiting patiently for v6.9.3 as all my latest records are set up with the latest species names that require the BOU checklist of 2006. I look forward to importing many more data!.

Many thanks to Nigel Hymas and Sarah Shaw for their assistance with the import problem.

All the best, Ian

Hi

To close this off - R6 needs the date separator to be slash '/' not a full stop which I prefer.... Change the date separator and records import as they should.

Cheers, Ian

Have just done a Recorder 2002 to Recorder 6 transfer and have 532 errors in Taxon_Determination table.
The records which have resulted in these errors are those with nothing in the Taxon_List_Item_Key field. Those with an NBNSYS*** identity have transferred OK.
Is there a simple way to fix this please

Brian Broughton wrote:

Have just done a Recorder 2002 to Recorder 6 transfer and have 532 errors in Taxon_Determination table.
The records which have resulted in these errors are those with nothing in the Taxon_List_Item_Key field. Those with an NBNSYS*** identity have transferred OK.
Is there a simple way to fix this please

Hi,

I think you should check your data and make sure the database is all righti. If the file is damaged, you may replace it with backup. Or you can try some tools to recover it. I have used a utility called Advanced Access Repair to repair my Access MDB file. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aar/ If necessary, you can have a try.

Alan

This is a common problem with Recorder 3 to Recorder 2002 data transfers. If you do nothing about it you will simply lose the records. I would put the Taxon_List_Item_Key for a species you have no records for in the empty Taxon_List_Item_Keys in Recorder 2002 then examine all the records and correct or delete them. If you have no Wolf records you could use NBNSYS0000094797 (Wolf from the Recorder 3.3 list). If this problem has originated from a Recorder 3 to Recorder 2002 data transfer you may be able to correct them by referring back to Recorder 3. Without something in the Taxon_List_Item_Key the observations can't be seen in the observation hierarchy in order to do anything about them. Filtering for Wolf observations or using the GoTo key add-in will enable them to be located, or doing a report on Wolf observations. Make sure you correct or delete them all otherwise someone will get a surprise when they find Wolf observations in their reports.

Apologies for not responding earlier - it was something I meant to do.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687