Topic: Import Wizard species matching

Would it be possible to change the import wizard so that, when matching species names, the list can be filtered/reduced by the user so that only species that are unmatched are visible (rather than all the species in the import file)?  Or, if that is not easy, to be able to skip to the next unmatched species (so users don't have to scroll down looking for species that need matching before then can proceed to the next screen).

It would be even better if, for each species that is unmatched, the list showed whether this was because there are no matches in R6 or because there are two or more possible matches.

The same filtering or skip to next would also be really useful for the other matching screens; locations, recorders, determiners, abundance types, record types, etc.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Re: Import Wizard species matching

AndyMFoy wrote:

skip to the next unmatched species

Doesn't the import wizard already do this?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Maybe, but how???

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

Using the black arrow next to Recorder Matches heading you can sort the matched column which will put all the unmatched together either at the top or bottom of the list. If there is no black arrow showing click in the Recorder Matches Heading and it should show.  The enter key takes you to the next unmatched species. Another short cut key is F2 which will take you to the selected dictionary.

I have logged the requested change so it can be looked at in more detail. Also in checking to see if this works with Location I have noticed a bug whcih appears to delete one of the matches. It does appear to work with the other matching windows I have checked.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike.  It was so obvious I didn't think about sorting the matches.  That really helps.  Would it be possible to display the number of unmatched items somewhere?

If possible it would be useful if it was a little clearer on each screen exactly what is being matched ... for example I can't tell the difference between the recorder and determiner screens, and the abundance qualifier and record type lists can be quite similar.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi

The Recorder and Determiner are merged togther for matching, so there is just the one screen covering all individuals needing to be matched. The column you are matching is shown on the left in the Help. Where it says 'Please match --- etc' . This isn't very prominent and a bit too polite. I will take a look to see how it can be improved.

Mike Weideli

Great, thanks Mike.

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi

What can be done easily is to alter the htm files which display the help on the left of the matching screen to make it clearer what is being matched.  As an example the attached does the Names. Copy it into the R6 help file folder.

Mike Weideli

When sorting by the "Recorder Matches" column, to see which species havent been matched so that you can work down the list, would it be possible to also sort by the "Imported Data" column (as the second sort column) so that these appear in alphabetical order.  This would make it much easier to remember where you've got to when you need to skip some species because they aren't in the R6 dictionary.

Also, once you've found a species to match in the Taxon Dictionary Browser window and press F9 to return to the import window, the window refreshes (but leaves the sort order on the "Recorder Matches" column), so the current/selected row jumps to where it should be in the sort order and you've got to scroll back up to the top (or wherever you've got to) to find the next species to match. Is it possible to show the matched species in the window but not re-apply the sort so that you can just select the next unmatched species in the list without having to scroll back up to the top first?

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk

If you sort on the notes column which also brings the unmatched to the top then finding the taxon doesn't  change the order  so you can work down the unmatched dealing with each one in turn. You just need  to keep an eye in the matched column to see which ones have yet to be found.

The notes with 6.29 are the way I worked out to tackle matching using the notes column. However, it may be worth getting feedback on how this works in the live situation and seeing if there are any further improvements which  can be made. The search button in notes will in may cases eliminate the need to use the taxon search.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike, I'll try sorting using the notes column and see how it goes.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
www.gigl.org.uk