Topic: Species list use

There appears to be a misconception (either mine or someone else's !) about what the species list tool should be used for. As I understood it, the tool was to allow for regularly used lists of taxa so you can e.g. easily filter out records for that suite of species. It appears that some users are using it to record records? See e.g. https://registry.nbnatlas.org/public/show/dr1841

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Species list use

Apart from anything else, some weird name matching going on in that list!

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Thanks Charlie, I will talk to the owner and see if we can move the records to an occurrence dataset.

Sophie

It's an easy to mistake to make - a species list does/can refer to a list of species recorded ! Perhaps a better name or explanation is needed?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

TeresaF wrote:

Apart from anything else, some weird name matching going on in that list!

Quite!

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Yes, I agree. The species lists need better explanation. If you have any suggestions for another name, please let me know,

thanks, Sophie

The concept of being able to upload your own list of species to report on is pretty much the same as what is called a "rucksack" in Recorder 6. Recorder 6 rucksacks don't have to be taxa lists (they can be lists of locations) but in practice species lists are probably used the most. The benefits of using this somewhat obscure term are that anyone familiar with R6 should have an idea what it means which I would hope would include most "power" users of the Atlas, and it is unlikely anyone will misunderstand and upload records as seems to have been the case with "species list". I always thought the term rucksack had a nice ring to it, with pleasant associations with being out in the field. However, being jargony probably would also limit the number of people who create lists (is that necessarily a bad thing?)
http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-4646

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Thanks for the suggestion, Teresa. I'll see what's possible in terms of changing the name and also adding a better explanation,

thanks, Sophie