Topic: Recorder running horrendously slow

This is a strange and intermittent problem. I don't know if it is caused by the Recorder EXE, SQL Server or the computer network, but since one of the updates our copy of Recorder is running VERY slow on certain operations, almost exclusively linked to the Taxon Occurrence records

Timing today (all in the Events/Samples hierarchy) with a filter active, all operations (select species entry; click edit for entry; save changes) were all taking in excess of 1min 30 secs, then all of a sudden they revert to taking less than 5 seconds

I can see no pattern, no errors are encountered, it just slows by c 20x every so often, today it lasted for editing 3 taxon occurrences (which took 10mins each because of the delays!)

Recorder 6.28.0.287; Dict ver 48; db ver B4
Windows 10
SQL Server ver 11.0.2100

Any idea, because when it happens this is very annoying and makes Recorder almost unuseable

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Recorder running horrendously slow

Hi

As you  are on  database version  000000B4 preferabaly run the attached SQL script.  Alternatively go to Tools/Options/Setting Table   and change the Competency level to 0.    I am fairly certain either of these actions will fix the problem. Please let me know how you get on.

Post's attachments

000000B5.sql 4.12 kb, 6 downloads since 2018-04-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Mike Weideli

Would you advise this for anyone on db version B4? Since the upgrade to 6.28 my system has been painfully slow on loading taxon occurrences, not intermittently like Craig but all the time.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Yes. Run the Sql if you can. It will be included in 6.29, but if your system is slow when using the Observation hierarchy then run it now.

Mike Weideli

Thanks, Mike. Taxon observations now open with no delay at all.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Mike,

I'm not working on the master copy, but it has certainly fixed one of our clone copies

Craig

Craig Slawson

Strange.  Try changing the competency level 0. If this doesn't help then you must have a different problem

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

I think you misunderstood, I was out of the office so didn't have access to our master copy, but it fixed the problem on our laptop copy - I've just run the script on our master copy and it has fixed the problem there as well - thanks

Craig

Craig Slawson

Hi

Yes. I thought it hadn't worked, but good news.

Mike Weideli

Mike,

I've run the script on our master database and it has got rid of the horrendous waiting times, thanks!

Craig

Craig Slawson