Topic: Application cannot start

When I try to Open Recorder 6 all I get is an error panel:
Application cannot start
Main application file problem

Where do I go from here?

Re: Application cannot start

This isn't an R6 message, so suggest that something is blocking the program from running. Anything happened recently - like a Window upgrade ?

Find RecorderApp (Probaby in the programs file(x86) folder/Recorder 6)  and  try running this by clicking on it.

Which version of R6 are you on ?

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike.
Nothing has changed at all, it just disappeared from the task bar whilst it was open.
I've tried clicking on Recorder.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Recorder 6 but I still get the same message.
It's an older version, I didn't dare mess with it as I was getting other error messages (see my other posts) but it was still struggling along.
Can't open anything to tell you the version number, the exe is dated 4/4/7.
It's broken :(

Hi

I will give you a link to a a new set of Recorder 6 files.  Rename your existing R6 folder and create a new one with the same name . Unzip the files I send you into this folder and try again. I am hoping you will then be able to open R6, but I expect if it does then  it will fail immediately, because the database and application will be out of step.If we can get this far then fixing this will not be a problem.  If we still have a problem, then it is either going to be in the R6 installation, or something in your Windows setup has got corrupted, so the next step would be to remove R6 (after a backup of everything) and a reinstall. This should  fix any R6 install issues or show if there are any Windows issues.  I always hesitate to recommend   a reinstall, but with the problems you are having this is probably the only option.

Mike Weideli

The zipped file is at www.Recorder6.info/ZippedR6.zip.

Mike Weideli

I have come across a similar problem elsewhere. In this case it looks like Windows Defender has deleted Recorder,exe and some of the dll files. It seems that Windows Defender has a very aggressive policy towards deleting files it suspects and will do so without warning,  Other antivirus packages may do  the same depending on their settings. Do you gave an anti virus package installed or are you relying on Windows Defender...?

Mike Weideli

I've got Kaspersky

What is the situation with your system now ?.

Mike Weideli

No change from the situation in the original post above.
I haven't had the opportunity to try to fix it yet.

Hi

I think either your virus checker or a Windows update (more likely the latter) has deleted some of the files. When you have a chance unzip the file I have sent you and replace the ones in the Progam files folder of R6. I think R6 will then start. You may then need to run the 6.28 upgrade to bring the database into line.

Mike Weideli