Topic: Surveyor's reference field extension

Now I know Recorder 6 is a sore topic for many at the moment following the (ridiculous) announcement last week, but should something be resolved in terms of future maintenance and development here's a request.

The Surveyor's reference field is currently limited to 30 characters. Could that be extended to allow record IDs created by the NBN atlas to be stored in this field? The atlas appears to use 5 part 32-character codes (plus separators) in NBN atlas downloads so 36 (or even 40) characters would seem to be a more useful limit.

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Surveyor's reference field extension

I would prefer to use the external_key field for this (as this is what it's intended for) however you can only get at this field via the additional info addin and therefore can't copy-paste, which is a show stopper for me !

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Indeed Charlie! I'd forgotten about that one. And agree if the external key was 'exposed' through the main interface it would be much easier. That field is of course limited to 30 characters at present too.

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

There isn't any real problem with doing this and I will add it to the request list. Also it would be a good idea if external reference was made available as a normal field. My contract with JNCC doesn't include any funding for bug fixes or development, but I probably would have made this change anyway. However,  I am a bit  too far towards issuing version 6.28 (which will be the last JNCC version of R6) to be able to fit it in any additional changes.  All is not lost though, as hopefully new support arrangements will be in place shortly and this type of minor change will become possible again.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike.

The work you (and others) have done in maintaining, developing and supporting what is now a comprehensive, powerful and stable piece of biological record management software is greatly appreciated I'm sure by all who use it. Long may it continue!

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Hi

Just to let you know that the existing Consortium which supports R6, (John van Breda, Sally Rankin and myself) hope to have secured sufficient funding from an R6 user to continue support for at least a further year (possibly two years ). Details  are being worked out and hopefully there will be an announcement shortly.

Mike Weideli

A change on these lines has been incorporated in R6 version 6.29. This has just been released as a beta test version. Subject to further testing it is hoped that it will be released  in a few months time. The release notes are available at https://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=7188

Mike Weideli