Topic: NBN Record Cleaner no longer works?

I have been using the record cleaner regularly over the years to check that our records in R6 are going into the correct VC surveys, and wouldn't be without it.
However, today it suddenly seems to have stopped working. First it couldn't access Recorder, saying that it couldn't login. I tried resetting NBNUser but that didn't help. As a last resort I downloaded and reinstalled the record cleaner. Big mistake! Now I cant get the program to run at all and just get the long string of error messages attached.
A lot of hard work went into developing this program and the rulesets for it, but is it still being supported? If not, is there anything we can do about it?
Janet

Post's attachments

NBN Record Cleaner errors.JPG 104.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Re: NBN Record Cleaner no longer works?

My initial message got no response so trying again.
Could someone at least confirm whether the NBN Record Cleaner is still supported, and if so who by?
If not, some of us have wasted a great deal of effort on this.
Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Dear Janet,
I am sorry, I have not been monitoring this part of the forum. I will do so in the future.

The NBN Record Cleaner is still being supporting by the NBN, and by me in particular.

I understand that some people are unable to run the application on Windows 10. Record Cleaner was designed for Windows XP and 7, but it should work on Windows 10. The application needs to be installed whilst logged on as an administrator and ideally run as an admin.

Are you using Windows 10? If so, would you try reinstalling it as an administrator?

I apologise again for the delay in replying to your message.

Best wishes, Sophie

Thanks Sophie. Installing and running as admin has got it installed again, but I'm back to where I started with it failing to connect to Recorder. When I try to open the connection it returns a message Login failed for user 'NBNUser'. R6 is working fine.
Any suggestions?

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

I am really sorry, I don't. Would you write a message on the R6 forum and in the meantime I'll see if I can find out what the problem could be.

Sophie

6 (edited by charliebarnes 12-03-2018 17:08:40)

I get this too - it appears record cleaner is converting the password to lowercase, which is why we're getting the log on error. Manually changing the password fixes it for me (by clicking Reload from Registry, editing the query string and then Open Connection). It seems this change is remembered so that editing the query string is not needed subsequently?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks, Charlie. That has got it working again and it does seem to have written the change to the registry.

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society