Topic: Species records deriving status from synonyms

Hi

I have come across an issue where reports filtered against a checklist that has a taxon status are bringing back records of species that are not on that list but have synonyms that match species on the list. For example the following filter, https://records.nbnatlas.org/occurrence … 2dr583%22# should bring back Priority Species bryophytes near SH 6714. The single species that comes back is Lophozia ventricosa (NHMSYS0000309930  • UK Species Inventory taxon current, NBNORG0000050212  • UK Species Inventory taxon concept current) which is not Priority and occurs pretty much everywhere. However one of the synonyms is Lophozia longiflora (NBNSYS0000035843  • UK Species Inventory taxon current, NBNORG0000023631  • UK Species Inventory taxon concept current) which is Priority and NR (9 records on NBNA)

I have similar issues with a couple of lichens at the same location Arthonia didyma, appears to take PS status from possibly A. patellulata and Pyrenula macrospora, possibly from P. nitida.

Could you please check this for me?

Thanks

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

Re: Species records deriving status from synonyms

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your message - I will look into this and get back to you in the next two days,

Thanks, Sophie

Hi,

Has this has been fixed? It looks like it has but I don't seem to be able to run exactly the same query so I can't be 100% certain.

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hi Gordon,
I corrected the two that you mentioned, by updating the species list to include the authority in the species name. This ensures that the correct species is matched (and not the synonym).

Here is the updated species list entry for Lophozia longiflora https://lists.nbnatlas.org/speciesListI … Order#list

We need to review the species lists to ensure that the full name, including authority is used, so that the correct species is matched.

I am very sorry not to have let you known. I was convinced that I had replied.

Thanks, Sophie

Thanks

So, if this was also an issue for other species, it still will be, and we should keep a look out and let you know?

Gordon

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Yes, exactly. Please let me know if you find any others,

Thanks, Sophie