Topic: Error after upgrading software to ver. 6.28.0.287

Hello, please can you help with this error we’ve encountered since upgrading yesterday from Recorder 6 ver. 6.24.0 to ver. 6.28.0.287. We are on a networked version of Recorder and our software people carried out the upgrade.

Although Recorder 6 ver. 6.28.0.287 opens and works the Base Map does not open or reset.  When the Display Map window icon is clicked (or we try re-setting the map) this error message appears (see attached):

Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (String).

Please would you come back with a fix for this.

many thanks
Philippa

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 88.89 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Dr Philippa Tomlinson
Biological Records Manager
Manx Biological Recording Partnership

Re: Error after upgrading software to ver. 6.28.0.287

We have also immediately had an error message on opening R6 after the 6.28.0.027 upgrade, with the same error in the log:
Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (String)
- but just after opening the program, not whilst accessing the map window/base maps

The program recovers if we click Continue application.

Post's attachments

Error-73671150987731.txt 25.17 kb, 2 downloads since 2018-01-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ooh - we've just found that Philippa's problem with the base map sheet is happening here too. It will set off the error message if the map icon is clicked (although it didn't when I first tried it!).

Linda

OK Philippa, I've fixed it on our machines! By doing absolutely nothing really, based on years of instinct for what makes Recorder go wrong. I went into Tools>Options>Setting Table and changed nothing, just clicked OK.
After that, no more rude messages when I tried to access the map.
Sigh.

Linda

5 (edited by charliebarnes 18-01-2018 11:58:01)

At a guess (in particular the error happening on startup) I would say that a registry setting was missing and that okaying in Tools>Options>Settings created it?

A new registry setting created by the recent changes to the maps component?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Many thanks Linda and Charlie, it does seem to have done the trick. I wish I understood better how the mapping works on the network, with different users doing there own thing...
Philippa

Dr Philippa Tomlinson
Biological Records Manager
Manx Biological Recording Partnership