Topic: Problems importing data using Organism View dictionary

I don't know if this has been sorted in the most recent upgrade, but we have just noticed a problem with records imported using the Organism View dictionary

When the records were imported, the Organism View dictionary was used to match the species names, instead of using the individual preferred lists.  We realised that Recorder searches all species names and synonyms using this list, but doesn't necessarily match them to the correct one.  For example, Carex echinata (star sedge) was matched to Carex muricata subsp. muricata (large-fruited prickly-sedge) as Carex echinata is an old synonym.  Carex echinata is very common in Devon, Carex muricata subsp. muricata is very rare in the UK, and doesn't occur in Devon.

We now need to check all records imported using this method to see if there are any other horrors lurking!

Cheers
Ellie
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

Eleanor Knott
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

Re: Problems importing data using Organism View dictionary

Thanks. I will check to see what is happening with the Organsim view on matching. If there are mutiple options for a name then it shouldn't find a  match, leaving the correct match to be determined manually.

Mike Weideli

Re: Problems importing data using Organism View dictionary

I have tried an import for  Carex echinata using R6 V 6.28 with Dictionary 00000041  and it will not match automatically against the Organsim list. Not sure why this didn't work for you. It could be a minor change in 6.28 or something to do with the Dictionary.  Please can you try a search on Carex echinata using Dictionary/Taxon and selecting the Organism view, then changing 'Restrict Searches To' to 'Current Checklist'.

I would expect you to get 4 possible matches which shoudl eb enough to stop an automated match.

Mike Weideli